SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkfree_4a_canada

I really want blooms! What am I doing wrong?

Hello :) I've been hanging out over in the cacti & succulents forum and I just noticed this forum all about Hoya :) I would very much appreciate some guidance from knowledgable Hoya growers - I have been looking at your blooming pics and I'm so jealous! mine has *never* bloomed. Ever.

I have been frustrated with this plant since I realized it was indeed a Hoya. Mom gave it to me years and years ago, she grew it from cuttings off my Grama's plant. I didn't put two and two together until a couple years ago that it was *that* plant, the one I always loved at Grama's with the enchanting little waxy blooms. I'd like to ID it so I can figure out what's going on. I've read some contradictory information. If I recall correctly it had pale pink blooms with - perhaps - darker pink centres? (Foliage photos below)

I have started several new plants from cuttings, and the foliage is very nice, they all seem pretty healthy but not even the 10-years-plus-old root bound first plant has ever bloomed!

First plant lives here in the south window of the kitchen. I cut it way back and started another plant after I nearly killed it, and it began to climb the hanger. I took it down for a better pic below

The second plant, grown from the cuttings, has vines like CRAZY. The base of the plant was right in the east window and got a bit sunburned so I moved it as far as I could given that it's pretty much attached to everything:

FYI, all of that came from only three vines that climbed out of the pot. I just feed it back and forth. Some break off and I start new plants.

The foliage grown in indirect or low light is more heavily variegated

Than that which receives bright direct light

The one at my office (no pic) has very dark green heavily variegated foliage.

I have hard water, and very low humidity. I give it dilute Schulz all purpose 10-15-10 fertilizer almost every watering, and they dry out before I water again.

TIA! :)

Kd

Comments (22)

Sponsored