SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neospecie

Mature Acer palmatum dying - possible diagnostic and tx?

Neospecies
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all,

We live in So. CA, we planted these JMs here for almost 10 years now. One is shin de shojo (?sp) and we had it almost 20 years (first in the pot then later on transplanted in the ground once we bought our house) and the other is blood good. They have been growing well and suddenly over the last winter, a major branch out of each of these trees budded, but the leaves appear wilted and over a few months, the branch turned brown. The affected area for both of these JMs are about 25% while the remainings look semi heathy. We have pruned these dead branches down and I'm including pics below.

Over the last month, some smaller branches around the affected area has died off too which lead us to think this could possibly be verticillium wilt? Am I correct in my possible diagnosis? As far as branch comparison with the red brown veins on the branch. I'm curious if anything can be done to savage the remaining healthier branches?

This is the major branch from the blood good tree.

Cross section, brown veins visible.

Here is is the other dead Shindeshojo branch, one of my favorite!! I will likely not be able to find this species locally again:(

View of the cross section

I will add the remainings overall pics in the reply.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County