SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

2016 Tree Seedling Report

hairmetal4ever
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Starting a new trees from seed thread. Pics will come later, just some info:

We purchased a new home this winter, and I have more land - an acre - still not what I really want, but workable.

My oaks from last season are being slowly put in their permanent homes. However, some f&$#*&*#$&&#&# animal ate EVERY EXPANDING BUD OFF EVERY OAK. I have caged them all in with chicken wire or deer barrier and they're starting to generate some new growth. Hopefully, it doesn't set them back TOO much.

This year's stuff:

Oaks-

My acorns seemed to get some sort of white mold this winter in storage, so all species had considerable mortality. Whatever it was, it spread through the entire drawer in the fridge where I kept them. I used the same methods I normally do (except for the fusiformis, may they R.I.P., more on that in a moment.)

Q. bicolor - Dax was awesome enough to send me a couple dozen seeds. I only have about 8 that sprouted - the rest got mushy. He also sent a couple macrocarpa and none sprouted - they also got moldy.

Q. alba - locally collected - THREE. THREE DAMN ACORNS SPROUTED. The rest rotted.

Q. coccinea - ONE. I collected locally off the ground, so wasn't sure how viable they were.

Q. michauxii - three growing nicely. These were dicey, I collected off the ground, as with the coccineas, so I assumed lower success rates. Three out of maybe two dozen.

Q. fusiformis - had some nice seedlings this winter as they were sprouting when I got them, so I grew them inside under a grow light. Dead, I'll tell the whole story later, but it involves cats and children. Still p-o'ed.

Q. myrsinifolia - these are doing well! Bought some from Sheffield's, I have about half a dozen sprouting out of a dozen, but they are S-L-O-W compared to other oaks - perhaps being an evergreen oak, they need warmer conditions to get going.

Acer triflorum - TWO out of 150 sprouted, but I kept the other seeds, as maples often will sit a season and sprout the next spring.

Acer palmatum - half dozen happy little seedlings off a local red-leaved tree (Bloodgood-type).

Acer buergerianum - I had good germination percentages - have about 2 dozen little seedlings.

Acer nigrum - only got three - very low germination rate (10%) for a maple in the Saccharum complex (A. saccharum, A. nigrum, A. grandidentatum, etc). One froze the other night, so I have 2 left.

Cercis canadensis - three survivors - most of the 2 or so dozen sprouted, but I over-estimated their cold-hardiness and many died in the freeze last week. The more mature, blooming trees shrugged it off fine (still blooming!) but the seedlings weren't so lucky. The three I do have look great, though.

Cladrastis kentukea - just getting these going now, stay tuned.

Taxodium distichum - I have a handful that sprouted out of two lots of seed. I think I may have not pretreated/stratified them in the ideal way, but at least I'll get a few trees.

Nyssa sylvatica - these took a while to sprout after stratification (I had to put them on a heat mat for a week), and are slow to emerge, but I have a few that are growing now.

Cornus kousa - behaving similarly to the Nyssa - slow starters.

I'll post pics periodically.

Comments (237)