SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conny_e

Is my adenium worth saving?

So, this is the fourth adenium obesum I bought from a local garden centre a few months ago. Yesterday,
I noticed that it had
not been grown from a cutting like the other adeniums on the window cill in the conservatory, but that it had what looked like
quite a substantial caudex under the soil line.

I went out to get a better pot for it this afternoon, and having read tons of info on this forum about repotting - giving me enough confidence to have a go, I started straight away, even though it has quite a nice number of buds ready to flower (second flowering).

This is what it looked like before I started:

With every bit of uncovering I got more impressed with the size of the caudex, I'd really not expected it to be so large.

But then, shock horror: root rot. And not just a tiny bit.

Here's the plant cleared of most of the soil/medium:

And here's the side with the root rot:

Close up:

So, I've been cutting, and cutting, and here's what it looks like now:

I've put cinnamon on the big cut, as well as on the places where I cut some of the little roots at the top of the caudex. There are two more black, soft-ish spots on two other big roots, of which I really doubt whether or not to cut them out. Please advise...

For now, I don't intend to repot the plant until Sunday, or maybe even later if you think that would be better with such a big cut.

I think, as someone with no experience at all, that once the cuts have healed, it will still make a nice plant to look at facing the healthy side of the caudax. What do you experts think?

Thanks so much in advance for your advice!!

Conny

Comments (17)