SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blevine2

others,...please help with confusion which soil is best

7 years ago

I have three tomato plants...two are heirloom..one is bush..I also have a money tree, bamboo palm, some ivys, and arcea palm.

I have been viewing the posts on soil for hours. I know it's late for tomatoes..but might as well try..since I have them. First question...is I thought 5.1.1 mix was for short term ...and l.1.1 was for continued use. So in order to acquire soil for the tomatoes..I need to make the l.1..1 for the houseplants?

I am aware of the many bagged potting mixes...from reading on this site..Pro mix...expensive. but I did find it locally..Fafard..locally they are out of the 52 they carried..but did say ..they found large pieces of pine bark in it...Ecoscrapes...local....and ofcourse MG...either with or without moisture control ..I have sourced all the ingredients for the 5.1.1 ...I think I read this has to be discarded at the end of the season.. I found 50 # bag of pine bark...with sap wood in it...the pieces aren't too bad..I have taken every piece of sap wood out of all that...and broken up the pieces that were too large of the mix..some with my fingers..others with garden ..sizzors..and took out the very large ones...which there not many. It breaks my hear to have to throw it away at the end of the season, after all that work. but I will if its best for the plants. So, which soil do I use?

I have read ..it depends on how often you want to water...well...tomatoes I assume need to be watered almost daily if not more often..in very hot temps zone 6...so that is decided...The houseplants..well...I assume the chop stick method of when they need water will work.. ..weekly I am thinking. I do have the Foliage pro...I guess I need to purchase the Pro tek (do I really need this) Al suggests it. have to look for it on line.It seems the it's best to stay away from anything with peat moss in it...also vermiculate..which most all the bag potting mixes have..but are compensated by adding bark and perlite...so if your having to purchase perlite ..your adding to the expense of the bagged mix..so in the long run...is it cheaper to get the bagged anyway.?Then using the bagged...would you still use the foliage pro and protek.....The confusing part is when the recipe for the 5.1.1 is there..and in the comment section...Al..or someone suggests...epson salt, milk, granulated furtilizer. etc.( in addition to the FP).but no brands.....to a newbie ....specific amounts are helpful...even if it's some sort of idea...and what brands that would available....I know there are hundreds of brands..but Al seems to think the FP is the best of all. I could blame my apprehension on my age of 82..but really want to invest in what would be the best for my plant investment..also...not scrimp on quality...trying to save a $1 here and there..

I somtimes feel that you all are so experienced, it's second nature at this, that you forget that us newbies...are left in the dark often...when suggestions are not more detailed

I know I am driving myself crazy over this decision.....so really would appreciate your help.

thanks, Bev...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm