SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drewky

Vintage Dynamo Detergent

Andrew
7 years ago

Several days ago I happen to have a couple of hours to kill so I decided go to the laundromat in Lexington MY of my youth; Mr Suds. If you know me very well you know my love of laundry and all things related. I also payed a visit to a small convenience store that was located right beside the laundromat. While browsing the detergent section; something I always do; imagine my surprise when I come across this! I can remember mom & dad using this detergent most of my childhood. Now for a bit of a history lesson. Dynamo detergent was sold of a few years ago to Phoenix brands. Prior to that it had been manufactured by Colgate Palmolive and had an incredible scent. When I saw this item on the shelf I thought to myself " no way is it possible that this is the original Dynamo but go ahead give it a sniff. " What I smelled when I opened the cap was a scent I thought I would never experience again. This is the exact same product and exact same detergent that I can't remember mom and dad using at this very laundromat while they were attending school at UK. Knowing that this detergent with at least 20 years old I skeptically did two loads of laundry with it. When I opened the door to the machine the smell was so familiar it was as if I used the product every day of my life. The Nostalgia, the memories and the trip back to memory lane priceless. Even the car ride home was filled with the smell that I remember from my younger years. I immediately proceeded back to the convenience store and purchased every bottle that was on the shelves. When the clerk questioned as to why in the world anyone would buy a dozen bottles of laundry detergent from a convience store all at once I told her that this was a memory from my childhood and that you rarely have the opportunity to re create those. Some things are priceless and re living those memories everytime I do something as simple as laundry is indescribable. I'll leave out the part about this detergent containing old fashioned phosphate and requiring as little as one sixteenth of a cup to wash in entire load of heavily soiled clothes in my modern day front loader.

Comments (3)