SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkfree_4a_canada

Jade plant - why did it stop making big leaves?

Here is one of my many jade plants grown from cuttings off the Big Mama Jade. (Note: I planted these before finding this forum, and learning about proper succulent soil - all my jades will be repotted into proper mix. I've always used regular soil for my jades and had very few casualties)

It was making big, plump leaves on a new branch, bigger by far than any other I've grown from this plant. I was very pleased. Then it grew long and started to droop. I propped it with a bamboo stick but this unfortunately scarred the leaves that were resting against it :( It was never moved from it's place in the south window as far as I recall. (The one in the foreground - we will discuss the etiolated forest in the background at another time lol)

I cut off one long branch (left side below) and it grew two little sprouts. I pinched the top of the right branch and it grew a cluster of sprouts. You can see those nice big leaves here.

Yesterday I cut it back to the largest leaves and will root the bushy top.

Why do you think it stopped making the big, big leaves? I have so many jades and so many cuttings, so I'm experimenting with the propagation. I'd really like some more with the super fat leaves.

Thanks! Kd

Comments (10)