SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamebird

Why have my plants stopped growing?

gamebird
15 years ago

I have about a hundred brussels sprout plants and a hundred or so cabbage plants. My mother has a similar number of broccoli and cauliflower. We planted them around Feb. 22 in Jiffy peat pellets or in egg crate flats with Miracle Gro potting mix. At first they grew rapidly, to be 3-4 inches tall and just then getting their first true leaves. At that point we potted them up with more Miracle Gro mix into drinking cups that had a hole punched in the bottom (16 oz plastic coated Dixie cups and 8 oz styrofoam cups). Then they stopped growing and I don't know why. Mine have gone on to finish developing their first set of true leaves. They're about dime sized. But they're still the same height they were when I potted them up two weeks ago.

My mother has had hers inside at a sunny window almost the entire time, putting them out only one or two days a week. Mine are outside nearly all the time, unless the temperature at night will get lower than 45 (which means they're inside only at night one or two nights a week). Mine are out on the back porch, which faces east and has an overhang so they are in the sun 2/3rds of the day. Initially they were more underneath, getting only 1/4 of the day of sun in the morning, but as time has passed I've moved them further out. My plants are generally shorter and thicker stemmed than hers, but not a whole lot. I credit the wind and sun for that.

My plants have recently developed an odd, purplish/yellowish tinge to the leaves on some of the plants. I thought maybe they were short on water so I watered more heavily but that didn't change it. (My mother's plants may or may not have this, I hadn't noticed. Her broccoli has had trouble with damping off, which none of my brussels sprouts or cabbage have had.)

We'd like to plant them out into the garden, but my father is reluctant because they aren't continuing to grow vigorously. My mother has been watering with Peter's fertilizer and SuperThrive. I used some once that she gave me and added a little SuperThrive to the last time I watered. Otherwise I've just been using water.

Why have our plants stopped or at least dramatically slowed down on the apparent growth? What can we do to jump start them?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus