SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Some new reds and the problem children of the garden

shive
7 years ago

Let me start with the problem children of the garden. These daylilies have such potential. But they don't do what they should.

Parrot Moon is the prettiest orange daylily I've ever seen. But here in my garden it's just one fan after three years. It won't increase for me: not in a pot, and not in two places in the ground. But I do love the flower, and this is an odd season, so I'm giving it one more year to multiply and prosper.

Parrot Moon

Skin of My Teeth - I knew this one has problems with heavy dew when I bought it. Karol Emmerich freely admits it on her website. But it is just so pretty, I would love to see it with blemish free sepals. Just once ... OK, more than once.

Skin of My Teeth - Deep, rich purple color and big white teeth everywhere. Besides the splotchy sepals, it doesn't like to open fully until afternoon.

Next for the new reds.

Ruby Grandeur - Thanks for the trade, Mantis!

Season Finale - I got this one because it's supposed to be a bud builder and continue blooming very late.

Others that were blooming over the past two days:

Cool Hand Luke

Forty Days and Forty Nights

Melee, a late bloomer

Orange Vols and Inca Prince for all you orange lovers!

Landon Lee - Nice applique pattern, but it hasn't opened properly until today. It almost went in the problem child category. The spots may have been caused by the bug spray applied yesterday.

Desperado Love is the opposite of a problem child. It is the golden child this season. DL's growing in a bed that had weeds and tall grass growing in it until a couple of weeks ago. It got no supplemental water during the dry months of April and May. Yet it defied the odds. It's taller than registered with the best branching and bud count in the garden: four-way branching with 27 buds on the best scape. I almost gave it all away two years ago. It deserves more respect.

I'll post a few more in the comments section later.

Debra

Comments (19)