SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiegardener789

Need some help with the layout of a new garden/orchard!!

okiegardener789
12 years ago

I recently removed an above ground pool for the intentions of turning this space into a garden. I have been debating on how to actually implement that and I need some more eyes to look at it and help me!

Here is a picture of what I am working with:

{{gwi:107478}}

This picture is looking to the east. The dimensions of this area I am using are 44 ft east to west and 37 feet north to south. The area where the pool was is 24 feet in diameter with sand on the ground. I am not sure how deep the sand is. The east edge of the pool was dug into the hill as you can see. That "wall" of dirt is about 16 inches high.

I would like to have at least 3 4x8 raised bed gardens and a few fruit trees (apple, plum, cherry, etc). I have plenty of room elsewhere for the trees but if they can go in this fenced in area too that would be great.

I've thought about putting the raised beds where the pool was and making some sort of retaining wall to support that dirt wall. I am not sure how well that will drain though as the area where the pool was is obviously flat and the overall slope of the area is sloped down from east to west. One thing I would like to do is remove the sod and mulch the whole area. It is a pain to mow the grass in there.

Or do I fill in the area where the pool was with dirt to try to get back to the original contour of the land and then put the raised beds on it?

How would you layout this area? How would you do the dirtwork? Where would you put the raised beds? Where would you put the fruit trees?

I appreciate any responses!

Comments (25)