SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

WWYD: DD's New Dog

LynnNM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

This is India, DD's new dog that she was "gifted" with this past weekend.

Like our Sasha, India is a Tibetan Spaniel. She's 10.6 pounds of kisses, cuddles and love. Her PO (previous owner) offered to give her to DD, if we paid half of the approximate $700 fee to have a non-cancerous lesion taken off her back, a couple teeth pulled and to have her teeth cleaned. I know this PO fairly well, as we've gotten our last two Tibbies from her. She's now recently retired from breeding and showing them due to ill health, and was looking to rehome two of the four she still had. India is a many times over champion with over 100 show wins. Her PO gave us all of her many, many, many ribbons on Saturday when she signed the papers making her DD's.

DD had just driven 8 1/2 hours home from her university this past Friday afternoon, to spend Father's Day Weekend with her dad/us, when we headed to the vet hospital to pick up India after her Thursday afternoon surgery. It was a mutual love at first sight. She took to DD immediately. To us all, really, as she's a very affectionate, mellow girl. I'd arranged to have her spend the night with us and then we'd take her with us over to the PO's home on Saturday afternoon to sign the papers transferring ownership to DD.

My Dilemma: A week ago, when we first got this offer, the PO had told me India was "6 1/2 or 7 years old".But, tucked into the large manila envelope with her 100-plus ribbons was India's actual AKC registration showing that she was not 6 1/2 or 7 years old, but she'd just turned 11 years old on February 1st! I (conveniently?) found them after we'd gotten back home with India on Saturday. Needless to say, I was devastated and angry! DD was, at first, heartbroken but is so crazy about India that she decided to keep her anyway. She said that no matter what the age, every dog deserves a loving home, and India and the 3 other Tibbies spent most of their time in their indoor/outdoor kennels, and not as family pets, although they were well taken care of. DD & India are already inseparable. She drove back home with her on Sunday morning after breakfast and they're now a happy mom and furbaby.

But, I don't quite know how to handle this with the PO. I need to drop off the travel crate she lent us when I first picked up India. Does this woman, who is around 85 y/o, have some significant memory issues that I never caught on my 3 visits with her last week? Or was she just trying to pass off an elderly dog on unsuspecting me? DH thinks the latter. I hate to believe that, but agree that it does seem a bit suspect. And, her DH, who is even older than she is, looks to be yellow waxy ill, but somewhat more mobile and still very sharp mentally. The frustrating thing is that we've just unsuspectingly adopted an elderly 11 y/o dog who may develop significant health issues in the next few years. There is no way DD would give India back, nor would her father and I expect her to, but how would you handle it with her PO? DH thinks we should ask her to reimburse us for our part of the vet bill, seeing as though we're taking on all future vet expenses for an 11 y/o dog. I'm not sure. What would you do?????

Comments (72)