SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_h93

Advice on completing DG landscaping project

Matt H
7 years ago

We are at the tail end of a drought tolerant landscaping project. The front yard was done in conjunction with a project in the back yard using the standard DG you see in the photo. The photo is of the front yard. We ended up with some surplus standard DG and due to a bit of what I'll just call miscommunication, we ended up putting that standard DG down in the front yard with the intention of putting California gold DG on top of it.

This standard DG in the front yard varies from 6-10 inches due to an intentional look of "rolling" terrain. My Dad, who started this project, had the intention of compacting and using a sealant on the standard DG and then putting the California gold DG down and tamping/sealing that. In my research it seems that these sealants aren't very effective. Also sealing one layer and then adding another seems wrong to me but I am a novice. You may also need to know that beneath the standard DG is hard packed dirt with weed paper in between.

I am looking for some opinions on how to proceed with the goal of having stable California Gold DG covering the ground. What potential problems, if any, do you foresee with the above mentioned plan of having two layers of DG?

It has crossed my mind to take all of the Standard DG out and then get some of the pre-mixed California Gold + stabilizer and lay that down but hopefully that is not necessary.

Comments (3)