SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drew_vs

Help needed: KBG Mushroom issue (with pictures).

Ned Ryerson
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi.

I'm getting desperate here. I live in Minneapolis Minnesota on a relatively small city-lot. The issue that I am having is with mushrooms, lots of them. I've done extensive reading and gathered that they grow because of decaying matter and are generally signs of a healthy lawn. I don't think that this is the case here. They are growing so fast and so densely that the lawn dies very quickly around them.

The issue started last year. I had a small patch of dark-green lush grass about 1-foot in diameter. A few weeks passed and I noticed mushrooms and the grass began dying around the ring. I did some quick research and believed I had a fairy ring. I put down Scotts Fungus Control with a spreader and repeated two weeks later. I re-applied this year without any sign of it helping the issue. Upon further research I've found that Fairy Rings are very difficult to control and the product I applied was not meant for this. I had purchased it under the advise from a sales associate at my local big-box store.

Now this year it's gotten out-of-control. It is no longer a circle and there is no lush grass anywhere to be found. When the mushrooms start popping-up the grass dies, almost immediately. I've ripped out a few sections and taken photos.

Is this actually a fairy ring or do I have some other fungus taking over? I do notice mycellium on some of my plants/shrubs/trees but not really present in the lawn..

It's getting to a point where it is moving into the neighbors lawn and killing it and I need to at least try something before I go insane and replace the entire front lawn.

Thanks for any advice and or tips!

--Ned

I've added some general information about the lawn and how I care for it.

I purchased the home a few years ago and I believe the lawn is primarily KBG and Ryegrass.

I de-thatch once a year, in May or June with a de-thatching rake. I let the lawn take a mowing or two before doing this.

The average temperature in this area this time of year is ~ 70-85F.

We haven't gotten an unusual amount of rain this year. The mushrooms don't seem to get worse after a heavy rain.

After de-thatching this year I attempted to over-seed to fill out the grass and keep weeds in-control. I put down fertilizer and a perennial seed mix with a spreader. This seemed pointless as very few seedlings seemed to take.

I add weed-control as needed. Weeds don't seem to be an issue, I only spray down to control clover. I never have to spray more than once a year.

I mow once or twice a week. I generally try to never remove more than 1/3 of the blade of grass for each mowing. The mower is on its second-highest setting. The mower blade is sharp and it doesn't appear to be damaging the individual blades as I cut.

I water once a week if I remember, approximately .5" at a time. I don't water if rain is forecast.

I fertilize twice a year, usually in May/June and in the fall (October). I've used Scott's fertilizer (turfbuilder) and Milorganite. I have not got a soil sample done but I don't feel that I've over or under fertilized. The other section of lawn receives the same sunlight/mowing/fertilizer/rain and it looks great. Oddly, this section is only a few feet away and separated by a concrete walkway.

Photos:

Comments (3)