SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vladn2000

Replacing KBG in Denver, Colorado. Need help !

vladn2000
14 years ago

Hi Everybody, first post here :)

We are in the process of redoing landscaping for front and back yard. We live on acreage just south of Denver (Parker, elevation 6150). Existing lawn is some 15000 sq feet (yes, 15k) and our plans are to reduce the size to about 5k (5 different areas) and re-do it with less water/less maintenance lawn. Obviously I have been reading a lot about our options and there appear to be so many that got me totally confused:

Here is what we have:

1. 3 out of 5 areas are purely decorative pieces of landscape and 2 areas will be occasionally used (1 kid, no dogs, no big parties or football games).
  2. All areas have full sun exposure, but 2 of areas do have 2 mature maple trees each (about 20' high) providing some shade which obviously moves with sun movement (not sure if these 2 areas should be treated as part shade or full sun).
  3. 1 of the areas has pretty steep slope (15-20%) so erosion control is desired.
  4. We really don't care to match KBG deep green color, we are willing to live with native natural grass color.
  5. All areas have automated irrigation system so watering is not a problem, amount of water is the problem (rates jumped 30% this year alone). Grass with no additional water will be preferred, occasional watering during hot spells to keep the grass out of dormancy should not be a problem.
  6. Cool season grass will be a preferred option, but we are very open to warm grass option as well.
  7. Sod forming grass is highly preferred compared to bunch grass, although I must admit that our ignorance here may be a factor (we are under impression that bunch grass is more difficult to maintain and will not look as nice).
  8. Due to the big size of lawn, seeding is a preferred option compared to plugs or sod (DIY).
  9. From what we know we have clay soil.
  10. We are in Zone 5.

So here are the questions:

1. Warm or cool grass ? Buffalo grass and Blue Grama seem to be a good match, but our concerns are: being on elevation 6150 we are usually about 5 degrees F cooler in summer compared to Denver (5200) and I've heard Buffalo of Grama are a poor choice above 6500. Just 30 miles south of us in Colorado Springs (7000 elevation) they say warm grasses do not do well at all.

2. If warm grass is OK, then which one (Buffalo or Grama) and what variety ? The are so many of them and everybody claims that theirs is the best. We would prefer a variety that forms good sod and stays green longer (don't we all ?) -- I heard Legacy is good, but it is only available in plugs -- some say Cody is a good choice and it is available in seed. Are there any good mixes of warm grasses, maybe mix of different varieties of the same grass ?

3. Cool grasses: Crested/Western wheatgrass seem to be the choice for low maintenance/low water, but I am getting a conflicted information exactly how much water do they need. There is no doubt it is much less than KBG, but are there any varieties on par with warm grasses ? Again confused about different varieties here, Ephraim seems to get a lot of praise.

4. Where to buy seed ? Stopped at local HD and Lowe's and they seem to have no clue that KBG is not a native grass. Is there any good local (Denver area)/internet seed store with knowledgeable professionals ?

Thanks for reading and will appreciate any advice ! Davie.

Comments (18)