SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

how much time do you give a rose ?

User
7 years ago

This year I'm thinking carefully about what to do in the fall (which is the REAL "gardening season" here in Italy; that is, the moment when it's good to plant out new stuff and make changes).I'm trying to be really honest with myself and recognize the roses that really, really delight me,and this forces me to try to acknowledge also the ones that just don't seem to make the cut. But some of these-climbers- have only been in my garden a few years,and it's a well-known adage that climbing roses can take several years to really show their stuff.So, what to do? This is the first year that Climbing Bonica has bloomed,for example, but it sure doesn't impress me ("Climbing Blah-nica"). I look at a rose like "Delacroix" aka Cepcor,and I just LOVE it; want more of them! Love the dark foliage! the nuances of tones ;a variation of pale pinks! the sweet,graceful sprays of flowers! the vigour! But Clmbg Bonica, instead...I just feel BLAH. And Cepcor certainly has not been in my garden any longer. So I'm asking myself if it's worth waiting more years to see if this Blah-nica will improve, on the chance that it might just be one of those roses that takes longer to establish itself. Then, there's the Kew Rambler. The plant is huge,and I can't say I find the foliage very attractive. This is the first year it ever really bloomed, but I'm under-whelmed by that, too. Keep in mind that here in Europe, we can't take the happy-go-lucky attitude about replacing roses that American gardeners can take,since we have rose replant issues. It's necessary to change the soil if we want to plant a rose where another has been growing. So I wanted to throw the question out on the forum: how long do YOU give a rose in your garden before you make a decision about it's appropriate-ness for your garden?

Comments (16)