SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kgeezy20

Oaks, oaks, oaks!

Hey guys. I hope to start quite a few oaks from seed next spring and I'm also about to be laid up for a while and thought "what better way to spend my time than researching a bunch of gnarly oaks?". No reasonable answer could be found.

So I need your help. What's some of your favorite oaks?

As far as natives go, my overall favorite is Quercus alba. The flaky bark is wonderful, and the tree just has a strong but soft look to me.

Non-natives, my favorite is undoubtedly Quercus virginiana. The Live Oak was the tree that first got me super interested in trees in general. The pendulous form caught my eye, and I have looked for it in many other species since.

Please share your favorites!

Thanks

Kyle

Comments (46)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

Quercus virginiana is absolutely native to southern US.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm sorry, I meant not native to my area. I just worded that poorly.

• Related Discussions

Paint Help with 2-Story Oak-filled Entryway

Q

Comments (27)
    I love this forum, everyone is so helpful. (And I have so far to go before my house looks anywhere near as warm and inviting as all the others here. I look forward to getting closer...) I do love the greens in everyone's pictures. We went out and got some samples last night, but we just don't like it with our trim. We also got a gold-ish color, and while I like the color by itself, it pretty much makes the trim disappear. Which leads me to believe we need to go either very dark or very light. We currently have a sample of a dark brown for the entryway with a creamy color for the upstairs and hallway that we think we like, but I'm still anxious to call the painter with a real decision. If it matters, both rooms that the entryway open into have the same creamy color that we like for the upstairs. Here is a pic of our bathroom:
    ...See More

Live Oak, Canby Oak, Montery Oak or Cathedral Oak for Houston TX

Q

Comments (3)
    In the Austin area, the Live Oaks seem to be the most popular of the oaks, at least in new development areas. I think nurserys overcharge for planting trees. The secret to planting large trees is to rent a hand held demolition hammer from HD. You can have the holes dug in a matter of minutes with no hard back work. Let the tool do the work and just keep shoveling out the broken dirt. Avoid the post hole augers, they will just get stuck and don't handle hard clay as easily.
    ...See More

Pictures of Coretec LVP madrid oak, Hayes oak or Calypso oak anyone??

Q

Comments (36)
    Hi @Lini Alim - We have not used Calypso Oak in our kitchen. It was installed in our basement. But we do have cabinets in our basement that will be white. Unfortunately the cabinet doors are not delivered to me yet. But I think you can never go wrong with Calypso oak and white cabinets.
    ...See More

Debating if we should put an offer on this house—need opinions!

Q

Comments (21)
    when I buy houses I get every contractor there is out to inspect the critical elements, someone mentioned above HVAC, roof, septic if applicable - to cover the big stuff... if I think aesthetic work needs doing I get a contractor out (usually your realtor knows at least one) and get an idea for costs from them. I then use that info to decide whether I think the aesthetic updates make sense vs the purchase price or you if they're even in my budget at all. if not then I either have to live with things or work around them or walk away. If this is going to be your forever home you can do it over time but plan on big bucks for the columns and the kitchen. professional painters are big bucks too.
    ...See More
  • lucky_p
    7 years ago

Bur Oak, Quercus macrocarpa. Hands-down, my fave.

Kyle, check out the International Oak Society - and consider joining.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

take some time to track down the english oaks ..... Quercus robur .. and find out if they will grow in your area ...

there are quite a number of weirdo named varieties that are spectacular ... including variegated... including one that has stripped acorns ..

ken

https://www.google.com/search?q=english+oaks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhmPyf46fNAhUYJ1IKHZ-xBacQ_AUICSgC&biw=940&bih=745&dpr=0.9#tbm=isch&q=english+oaks+varieties

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Unfortunately most of my favorite oaks are marginal here! They are the evergreen oaks: myrsinifolia, acuta, hypoleucoides, virginiana, ilex, glauca, salicina, greggii, polymorpha, rhysophylla, etc.

• kentrees12
    7 years ago

Beware English oaks, Q.robur. They're mildew magnets in TN. But I still have 3, one regular and two columnar.

• Huggorm
    7 years ago

Beware English oaks, Q.robur. They're mildew magnets in TN. But I still have 3, one regular and two columnar.

Still when they are large? Over here they get mildew when they are young but not after they pass 8' or something like that.

• hairmetal4ever
    7 years ago

Quercus michauxii ranks up there for me.

Nothing beats a good old fashioned alba, however.

Q. myrsinifolia is my favorite evergreen oak.

• sam_md
    7 years ago

.....start quite a few oaks from seed next spring. There have been countless posts about starting oaks from acorns here, why not do a search. In my case I collect acorns in the fall and sow right away (protect from rodents). Members of the white oak group put down a root within days of sowing. I don't like storing acorns until spring, it creates more problems than it solves.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the awesome info guys.

Nothing like coming out of surgery to the notifications that all your tree pals are telling you about some cool oaks.

Sam, I intend to plant this fall as well.

• kentrees12
    7 years ago

huggorm:

My robur aren't all that large, species maybe 20', fastigiata maybe 25-30'. They definately have the reputation as mildew magnets here, and most years are covered with it by late summer, but I like them anyway. I can't speak for the colored forms.

Kyle:

I like all oaks. I especially like the whites, and the chestnut-leaved ones are close to my heart.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Q rysophylla, leathery foliage, fast grower. Any oak w/ good fall color

i am an oak lovah!!!!!!

• User
    7 years ago

I love Oaks, with Bur Oaks being my favorite by far ... the leaf shape, how hardy and strong they are, how they grow, the big acorns, the distinctive "oaky" smell in woods full of them, the rough trunks. Perfect tree. I'd love to have acreage someday, covered in mature Bur Oaks. I only have one in my yard right now. Need to plant more. :)

I also love Red Oak varieties; I have two of them, great fall color. Live Oaks are so majestic, but my area was hit hard with Oak Wilt a few years ago--many huge, old ones were lost. I won't risk planting one, but do love them.

• hairmetal4ever
    7 years ago

Quercus coccinea - can't be beat as a reliable fall color tree around here. In "bad" years they're good, in good years they are spectacular.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The bur oak is getting lots of love.

Ken: that is just awesome. I really love me some weird trees. I'll certainly be checking out those English oaks.

Hair: I totally agree. They were beautiful here last fall. I saw a few that even gave the maples a run for their money. Once I (hopefully) get good at grafting, I would like to snag a few scions of some of them. I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between scarlet and pin oak.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    7 years ago

Kyle, I guess this is kind of random advice, but thinking about oaks brings up my memory of the #@*& beaver that took out a number of my oaks about the time they got 8' to 12' tall. If you are planting trees out in the country, protect them from predation, where possible. I am pretty good at making deer cages, so if they are a problem, and you ever get over to my place, take a look at them.

• edlincoln
    7 years ago

White oak and scarlet oak. I tend to prefer oaks with deep lobes.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am also a big fan of Quercus montana.

ken, how long did it take for that beauty of yours to starting producing acorns?

Brandon, no beaver problems here, not close enough to water. Not even much deer problems, which is surprising because they're everywhere. However, rabbits aren't so kind. They like to bite off small branches for no other reason than to irritate me.

Some of you may remember, I have what was SUPPOSED to be a Live oak from Arbor day, but many of you on here told me it may be a hybrid, but certainly wasn't straight Quercus virginiana. Nevertheless, the tree is doing wonderful, having put on greater than 2' of growth already this year. I still do not know what it is, but boy is it interesting.

• hairmetal4ever
    7 years ago
    Quercus x schuetteii, the Schuette's oak, a Bur X Swamp White (both great oaks in their own rights) hybrid.

I have two second-year seedlings. Both have put on over 2 feet this year, and are still growing rapidly, despite insect and anthracnose damage that is more than I would prefer to see.
  • Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hair, would you mind posting a picture of their leaves if you get a chance?

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

Just got the 50 schuettes in the ground. Nice trees! These were of local genetics and Rootmaker pot-grown, so rather deluxe items. I was very happy with the trees as they arrived at our holding site. One issue of concern-the "soil" where most of them ended up being planted turned out to be virtually 100% subsoil-no topsoil at all. No wonder the "prairie planting" in that area wasn't up to snuff! Also quite wet, which I knew about.

Many more sites available for what amounts to a sort of oak savanna plant community.

• bengz6westmd
    7 years ago

Some of my oaks w/fresh leaves for the season. Burr oak (11 yrs old):

and pin oak (8 yrs old) -- very finely-textured with tuliptree behind:

• hairmetal4ever
    7 years ago

Kyle, I'll get you some pics - won't be home today until very late though, so it will be probably tomorrow.

One has leaves that are virtually indistinguishable from Swamp White Oak, the other has more bur-like characteristics, but still leans more swamp white.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks much, Hair. No rush.

I will try to post some pictures of my mystery oak either today or tomorrow to see what the general opinion is.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ken: where did you get that beauty? I saw in an older thread where you said it had a pretty fast growth rate. I gotta get me one of those.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Latest pics of my mystery oak

• kentrees12
    7 years ago

Kyle:

I've got several trees with foliage very similar to yours. They were grown from acorns collected from beneath the TN champion live oak at UTK. They are not evergreen, and the seedlings vary in leaf and tree size. First thought for mine anyway was compton oak, a hybrid (virginiana x lyrata). I believe the live oak is a hybrid itself, but has been ID'd by learned men (women) with degrees from UTK.

• Kyle (East TN, 6b/7a)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's super interesting Kentrees. I'm glad you shared that, it sorta gives me *hope*. I currently attend UTK, and thought I had found basically all the neatest trees on campus, but I am yet to run upon the champion Live Oak! Where exactly is the Live Oak located??

• kentrees12
    7 years ago

Kyle:

I was shown the oak by a then student, I never attended nor am I very familiar with the campus. I was there to see several palms planted by this person, and while there he showed me the oak. If memory serves, the tree is very close to the law building. It is in a paved area, almost against the building, and there is a chinkapin oak in front of it. We had to park and walk to the building. I seem to remember several saucer magnolias in front and near the building. His thoughts were that it was a hybrid also. If you are familiar with live oaks you will see what I mean, both in foliage and form. The tree is evergreen in most years, but loses its foliage in bad winters. I didn't see any evidence of any major past dieback.

This student collected acorns from beneath the tree and sprouted them. He was hoping to get hardy evergreen oaks. He had no place to plant the seedlings, so I was the recipient of a bunch. I've planted out 20-30 at my place. They are all over the lot. Unfortunately none is anywhere near evergreen, not even tardily deciduous. Some look like white oak, some look like English oak, some like compton oak, a few have INTENSE bright green foliage, and a couple appear as though they MAY be fastigiate (hope, hope). They vary in height from 3 feet to over 8, they've been in the ground 3-4 years. So far none have shown any exceptional fall color, but they are still young. Unfortunately I am unable to post pictures.

BTW, I should have left the remark about "learned men (women)" out.

• poaky1
    7 years ago

I have Compton's oaks, Burr oaks, and Quercus Montana/Prinus. So if anyone can't find the info for these trees. It should be easy for them to access the info for this plant and any trees of Northern America.

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    7 years ago

Kyle, I can guarantee that's it's not a live oak, Virginiana or fusi...kinda looks like a hybrid water oak leaf though.

• Norbert (zone 7a - Hungary)
    5 years ago

Necroing this thread in a hope to see some activity here again. :)

I'm glad I found it because I was planning to start a similar one (along the line of "what's your favorite oak"), haha. For me, it's so interesting to read different opinions about what people find as their favorite oak and why. Personally, I'm kind of torn between the Quercus robur and Quercus rubra but that will probably change since I keep exploring after "new" species which I've never heard before, lol. It amazes me how many oak species can be found in North America and there are so few in Europe...

This year I planted two bur oak (Q. macrocarpa) seedlings which I raised from acorns. It's interesting that their leaves are still mostly green while my Q. rubra already dropped its leaves.

Currently, my window sills are full of pots with Q. robur and Q. montana acorns in them. (Ofc I had to order the Q. montana online, since they're not native here.) A few of them already sending out shoots. I hope they will survive indoors until the spring. I wish I could plant them all, but I don't have the place they'd require. Now, I got my eyes on Valley oak (Q. lobata) so they will probably become my next oak "project". :)

5 years ago

Pics about my bur oaks.

This "unique" tree protection is not my doing btw. :D My brother made it so our dog won't pee on it, lol. I have my doubts about it's effectiveness though.

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Norbert, I am surprised that Hungary is in zone 7. I am good bit Hungarian/Slovak BTW. I would love to visit. BUT, I was sure that zone 6 was the warmest Hungary could be. I guess those climate maps aren't too accurate, at least the one I had seen before.

• poaky1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think you should've sown some of your acorns (at least the white oak family oaks) directly in the ground this fall, but, maybe animals would've eaten them. I have usually sown the acorns in the ground in fall, Especially if you have several acorns, not just a few. BUT, many people think you should wait until spring to plant, OR to grow them in pots for a couple years. I have a Burr oak tree I started from an acorn, which I had sown directly in the ground in fall, and I have a very nice size Burr oak. But, I was lucky some critter didn't dig it up and eat it. This Burr oak was a special variety I had received by a nice guy here on Gardenweb. The Acorn was huge, and the tree grows especially fast, about 15 feet in 4-5 years.

My favorite oaks are Q. Alba (eastern white oak) Live oaks Q. Virginiana and Q. Fusiformis. I have a Q.Fusiformis that is extra hardy and grows in a colder area of Oklahoma, called a "Quartz mountain Live oak" It has done great for me here in zone 6a Pennsylvania. This will be winter #3, maybe even 4, my memory isn't great. A really great guy in Missouri sent it to me. It was about 4 feet tall, AND had a trunk diameter of at least 3/4 of an inch. I still put a pipe insulator around the trunk in winter though, just for extra insulation. You could grow a LIve oak in zone 7, BUT, Live oak requires alot of sun and heat. I am not sure about the sun intensity in Hungary.

I have 2 Quercus Montana myself. Unless you have poor and dry soil, they will likely grow quickly for you, mine have. Mine usually have done about 3 feet a season maybe even 4 feet, but, the largest is about 20 feet tall, and 12 feet wide, and the yearly growth is a bit less now, but, the shade it gives off is really good, I have several shade plants growing below the largest one.

The smaller one is about 14 feet tall, but only about 5 feet wide. They both had put out acorns at about 6 years old, the smaller one only puts out a handful, BUT, the taller and wider one puts acorns out like crazy. I have several deer come in fall and eat these acorns. So, I am happy the acorns don't go to waste, and we can watch out the window and see them eating them. That is less little trees sprouting under the tree in spring also.

I have 2 Q. Robur, I love them, I grew them from acorns I got from EBAY. I haven't had any mildew issues here. I just got about 5-6 acorns on the one that has grown taller and skinnier near my house. The other one is growing well, but, I have one that isn't quite columnar, but, isn't as wide as the other one. I have another oak that I grew from the same bunch of acorns that got me the Q. Robur, BUT, I believe it is a Sessile oak.

I have many oaks in my yard. ANOTHER favorite of mine is the COMPTON oak, I have several at LEAST 5 of them. They are zone 5a hardy. They are a hybrid of a Quercus Virginiana X Quercus Lyrata or Live oak and Overcup oak. It will get huge like a Live oak, but,. it won't keep it's leaves as long as a Live oak will, UNLESS, you have mild winters. But, really, if you are in zone 7, and can grow an Evergreen oak, I would do that, unless you have a HUGE yard and can try MANY oaks.

5 years ago

Hi poaky! I don't know if this map is accurate but I used this when I wanted to know which zone I'm located.: https://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-hungary-plant-hardiness-zone-map-celsius.php

I would love to grow a live oak but I heard that they would die here in the winter. Now, you made me curious if you say that it may be possible. (But now I see a bigger chance that this map is incorrect, lol.)

I have to say, I envy you for having so many oaks, haha. You must have a quite big yard then. Could you post some pics about the oaks? I'd love to see them.

• edlincoln
    5 years ago

Also like white oak.

Scarlet oak supposedly has the best Fall color.

I'd consider throwing in some shagbark hickory...native, edible and long lived, what's not to like?

Fall is actually a great time to plant oaks.

Statw ge nurseries are a great source f cheap seedlings.

• indianagardengirl
    5 years ago

Ed, what does that last sentence say?

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Norbert, that map of your hardiness zones IS CONFUSING TO ME. I am likely wrong, But, I can't help but wonder how HUNGARY is zone 7a and zone 7b, BUT, everyone around them seems to be zone 6b, and possibly zone 6a in some places.

Norbert, I am really only able to grow the Quartz mountain Live oak. AND, it is ONLY QMLO trees that have trunk girths of about 3/4 of an inch or more, NOT, those little whips with tiny little trunks that are way smaller than measurement worth measuring. This QMLO I have, It is Extra hardy, and only recently my area has been getting some REALLY hot summers. Is it from global warming? Maybe, or maybe not. BUT, Norbert, IF you really want to grow a Evergreen oak, the Hybrid of Q. Robur ( English oak) and the Q. Ilex ( Evergreen oak) ummmm..... yeah, I can't remember the name of that hybrid oak. I had gotten one to plant about 4 years ago, kinda illegally, BUT, it had died here in my zone 6a winter.

Okay, it was called the "Turner's oak". Norbert, if you are really in a a zone 7a area. AND, you can get a "Turners oak" or even a Q. ILEX, Q. ILEX is an evergreen oak that can do great in an area that doesn't have a ton of sunlight in summer and heat. REALLY, the Q. ILex is likely going to be MUCH easier to find in Europe at nurseries to plant. And it IS an Evergreen oak, and it is zone 7a hardy. It is really impressive in old age. NOT, LIve oak tree impressive, BUT, it is a nice tree in old age.

I replied to your message Norbert. BTW Norbert, I have my big yard in thanks to my family, I could never afford to buy this OVER 3 ACRES of nice rural property. Since my dad passed away, I am the 1 who cuts the grass and tries to fight back the weeds, and cuts around all of those damned trees I planted. MY dad was super pissed about all of my trees, I had made big mulch circles around them, so it would be easier for him. I miss my dad, he passed away, BUT, ANYWAY, I have been using "GLYPHOSATE" or "GLYPHOSPHATE" which of the 2 means "I"VE BEEN USING "ROUNDUP", and I am hoping that "Glyphosate" or however you say it doesn't prove to be a big cause of cancer, because #1 I use it alot, I don't want cancer #2 It does well to stop weeds from taking over places #3 It is great in Lue of burning weeds to make for garden plots.

5 years ago

Now that you mentioned Q. Ilex, I was pondering about that a few weeks ago. I could easily order such a tree here, but for some reason I chose the Q. Lobata instead. The acorns just arrived today btw. Tomorrow, I will plant a few in the ground like a squirrel - as ken adrian likes to say. :)

Oh, and thank you for your generous offer. I still have to consider it as I don't have such a big yard and running out of place sadly.

• socalnolympia
    5 years ago

My favorites are Q. robur and Q. suber (latter of which is only suitable down to zone 8 ).

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Hey guys, I deleted a couple posts above for obvious reasons. But, anyway, Norbert, you being in Europe, as you know Q. Ilex is legal for you to get. They get really impressive with age. I saw an old one at Cardiff castle in Wales back in 2001. Nice evergreen oak for you. I am pretty sure they are zone 7a at the coldest. I think all evergreen oaks, except the Live oaks like I have Quartz mountain Live oak, and Texas Live oak which I don't have, are at the coldest zone 7a. Some are zone 6b. And those are sun lovers, BUT, Q. Ilex of course growing in the Uk, don't need much sun.

I like growing oaks by acorns also, BUT, sometimes it would be a good idea to also sow a few in the top of a deep or bottomless pot under some protection from squirrels and other critters just in case. I got lucky with my Burr oak, I had sown the acorns 5-6 years ago, and had success, but, as my other oaks put out acorns every year, my Chestnut oak Q. Montana, for example, it seems that the critters now know that my yard is a part of the fall buffet, so acorns need protected to stay and germinate, at least the White oak family oaks germinate really fast after falling.

Maybe sowing the acorns and covering the area really good will help, squirrels and chipmunks may get to them, but, it's worth a try if you have enough acorns.

Socal, I like Q. Robur and Live oaks. Can't grow the Q. Subur, so I'm not familiar with it. I'm guessing it's Cork oak. Later.

• poaky1
    5 years ago

BTW, Norbert, my yard is getting full also, so maybe the ordering from Mossy oak isn't really practical, but, MAYBE waiting until I get some acorns from my trees would be best. I have about 3 acres, maybe a bit more or a bit less. I have several different oak trees. I did get a handful of acorns on my Q. Robur, and my Q. Montana gets acorns every year, and as I likely already posted my Compton's oaks are past due for acorns from what the nursery had said on the website Mossy oak Natives nursery, so just remind me next year. I can send some, hopefully they will give you trees. I'll try to do the float test that tells you they are good or not good.

There is a place called Shumacher seeds from somewhere in the Northeast in the USA, either Maine, Massachusetts or somewhere in that general area that sells seeds, oaks included, maybe check them out. I am pretty sure that you will need to order by phone, UNLESS, they have finally got a way to just order and pay online. I am not sure about them selling to European customers.

Anyway, I'm sure since you only have room for a certain number of trees, you will need to narrow it down to the trees you want most, I am hoping at least 1 of my Compton's oaks put out seed next fall. Later.

5 years ago

Hey poaky,

I checked Schumacher seeds, they aren't shipping outside of USA. I found a site which does though, called Sheffield's Seed Company. They have a pretty wide variety of oak species to choose from - your beloved Q. fusiformis included. :)

• poaky1
    5 years ago

Norbert, thats great that you may be able to get seeds sent to Europe if you choose to. I've heard of Sheffeilds also, I just hadn't thought of them until you mentioned them, anyway, if you do choose to wait until next fall, MAYBE I will get a good crop of acorns on 1 of my Compton's oaks, IF you want a Compton's oak. But, by next year you may find a different tree that you really want. Later.