SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcp123_gw

Drill or Hammer Drill

dcp123
7 years ago

I'm in the market to replace my cordless drill and have had good experiences with Makita, so I'm looking at their brushless XFD07Z drill, but I see that their XPH07Z brushless hammerdrill is essentially the same price and weight. I don't especially need a hammer drill. I have a decent corded Milwaukee hammer drill and I really don't do much drilling into masonry, so I'd just buy the regular drill if there was a difference in price or weight, which there usually has been when I've gone drill shopping. Of course the hammer drill is switchable and works as a regular drill with basically the same other features as the regular drill.

So, if I get the option of having a hammer drill with no cord at no additional cost, that's nice. But I wonder if it's really as good as the regular drill at the tasks I would use it for 99% of the time drilling wood (95%) and metal (4% or so). The torque is the same and I think the RPM ranges are also. However, I would guess that, because of the added complexity of the drive and chuck, there's probably more wobble/run out in the hammer drill than the standard drill. I've seen some suggestion online that is usually the case with hammer drills. Nothing I do is really precision work, but wobble is a pain when I drill metal (I have no drill press, nor space to store one).

Any thoughts? Should I get the extra drill features for free, or is there likely to a real difference in the basic drilling feature?

Comments (4)