SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Would some variation on lasagna gardening work here?

Alisande
7 years ago

For a number of years I've grown pole beans on an arch--a 16x5-ft. cattle panel bent in half to form an 8-ft. tall arch.

Here are some beans getting started on one. Soon they will begin to climb. The cardboard takes care of the weeds between the two edges of the cattle panel.

I have two arches, and one of them had to be moved this weekend. I didn't have time to prepare a spot for it, so I just covered the area with cardboard and set the arch on top. The bottom edges looked like this one:

My plan was to cut around the edges to create an opening in which to plant beans, so I did that around one edge:

I expected to see vegetation, but somehow the sight of all that greenery (some grass, lots of crown vetch) was quite daunting. I'll have to enlarge the opening in order to get a hand cultivator in there.

But then I wondered . . . would I have been better off leaving the cardboard intact and putting layers of something on top, and then planting the beans in that? Would that be feasible? Even possible? How deep would it have to be, and what would I need to use?

Or should I just suck it up and go after those weeds?

Thanks!

Comments (6)