SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

How to stop large plants from tipping in the wind?

Lynn Nevins
7 years ago

My potted plants are on a third floor balcony, so sometimes wind is an issue. A number of times my large pots (up to 18" or so in diameter) tip over from the wind. Naturally it's irritating as some branches might break, medium falls onto the floor, etc.

All my pots have plastic saucers underneath them, and between the bottom of the pots and the saucers, I have plastic pot feet, to help with drainage. I have to wonder if the pot feet cause the pot to be less stable and/or allow wind to come up along the underside of the pot and make it more susceptible to tipping over.

What do you all think?....any other tricks to try and stop this from happening?... I wonder how much benefit in fact the pot feet are providing?...in most instances I don't think any roots are protruding or coming into contact with the saucers...but I just had this sense that pot feet are good to have...

And, yes, I do align the pot feet right up against the edges of the pots, so they are holding the pots in place as much as possible.

Comments (12)