SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roxination

Ficus elastica help--do i need to repot?

roxination
7 years ago

Hi there,

I've read a few threads on this forum about Ficus elastica care but could not find any answers particular to my questions. My rubber plant is about a year old and seems to be very happy at the moment. It was gifted to me as a tiny cutting from a friend, and i've kept it next to the same south-facing window the whole time (I live on the 5th floor, so it gets a lot of light). I want to keep it happy, but i have two major questions:

1) should i repot into a bigger vessel soon? I don't see any roots sticking out, and i haven't pulled it out to check the root ball. but as you can see from the photo, the plant is getting quite tall and i want to ensure the trunk has an opportunity to get fatter. The pot is about 6" in diameter, and the plant from the base to the highest leaf tip is about 23". the biggest leaf is about 7" long.

2) I've started thinking about getting this guy to branch. is now the right time, or should i repot and wait for the plant to get stronger over the coming summer? I would like a taller, bushier rubber plant eventually, but i'm not sure at what size to start branching. Also, i marked where i thought i'd have to make the cut, if i were to make it--is that correct?

I'd really love some advice to keep this guy happy! Thank you so much!

Comments (9)