SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

Question about building in countertop depth refrigerator

Anglophilia
7 years ago

I know the difference between a countertop depth refrigerator and a true built-in one. I know that usually, due to the hinges, the door will come out beyond the edge of the frame of the cabinet, but I assumed that at least the seal was covered, and that the cabinet on top was flush with the refrig. Apparently not. I hated the way it looked and getting to the cabinet above was almost as inconvenient as the old cabinet above the frig which was useless. I was SO disappointed as I had taken my iPad and shown kitchen guy pictures of ones I liked and disliked. He assure me it would be like the ones I liked; it was not at all.

Kitchen guy came by (he was coming to check on progress anyway) and we discovered that this model of side-by-side kitchen aid has hinges very similar to those on a true built-in - the door can open all the way and not his the cabinet side that covers the entire side edge of the door. They were worried that someone would bang it. My grandsons are more careful than that and aren't over and in my freezer that much - nothing was hitting at all on refrig side with door full open.

So, we're pulling it out and piecing in a panel to cover the gap between the side and the wall. I would rather have a seam that the entire door sticking out looking like a phony built-in. They are doing this for me.

How have you had your counter depth built into a cabinet? I cannot justify buying a SubZero at my age.

Other than that, kitchen is looking FABULOUS and I'm thrilled. Of course, installer has "another job" (he's an independent contractor) and won't be back until Mon noon. In the meantime, all are in agreement that grandsons can start tomorrow helping me move back into my cabinets! I'm SO excited!!!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz