SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
csimmons222

Refrigerator Dilemma....Counter Depth or Standard at End of Run???

csimmons222
8 years ago

We are near the completion of our new construction home and purchased our new appliances. I failed to take into account the depth of the refrigerator compared to the cabinets. I purchased the largest Samsung SS fridge that I could get, 30 cu ft, not realizing how far the thing would stick out. The enclosure for the refrigerator is only 24" deep. and the fridge w/o handles is 35" deep. Below are some pics of the fridge that I purchased inside the enclosure.

I'm going to return this fridge but my only other options from Samsung are the 28 cu ft standard depth and the 22.5 cu ft counter depth. The 28 cu ft fridge is 33.5" deep w/o handles. The 22.5 cu ft CD is 28.5" deep w/o handles.

My problem is that the CD seems very small on the inside. The shelves are roughly 12" deep....not even deep enough to hold a pizza box. I'm not sure if I should sacrifice food storage and money to go with a CD so that it is tucked nicely into the enclosure or go with the 28 cu ft fridge and live with the sides sticking out.

Below, I photoshopped some images to get an idea how far the fridge would stick out.

30 cu ft fridge (sticks out 11 inches w/o handles):

28 cu ft fridge (sticks out 9 inches w/o handles):

22.5 cu ft fridge (sticks out 4 inches w/o handles):

Here are them all superimposed on one another:

Unfortunately, the first time home building process has not been a fun one. My GC has been little to no help and seems to be more focused on getting paid then creating a happy customer. The cabinet store failed to mention anything to me about the depth of the enclosure, or suggest recommendations, prior to purchase. It seems that I could have easily extended the sides of the enclosure past the depth of the counter top conceal a standard depth refrigerator.

So what are your thoughts and opinions? Do I suck it up and go with the CD fridge and put another fridge in the garage for spillover? Or, do I go with the 28 cu ft, standard depth, and have the hangover?

Comments (40)