SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
almostemptynester

Should I plant trees for privacy and risk angering neighbors?

Just starting on landscaping for a newly built home. My property is river front, with a beautiful view. There is a house across the street that "uses" the view through my property and the adjacent empty lot. They actually sit outside a few feet from the road with lawn chairs every night staring at the field going down to the river. I am sure this is deliberate since we started building because they were never out there before.

I really want to plant a row of trees and arborvitae for privacy because it really bothers me to have these people sit out in their yard and just stare across the road. I feel like I don't even want to go out in my front yard because they are always sitting there. Making matters worse, they never smile or wave back at us. I have given up trying to be friendly.

Should I care that I will be blocking their view? I pay the taxes and want to use my own land.

For further background: when this farm was subdivided apparently these people were so obnoxious to the original owners that the owners planted a row of poplar trees as spite trees to block their view of the river (on adjacent empty lot).

I have a feeling that they feel entitled to this view, and it's going to be nasty. Any advice? What would you do?

Comments (83)

• User
    7 years ago

Yes, cities can have view ordinances. Interesting info here.

http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighbors/views-and-trees-faq.html

• omelet
    7 years ago

almostemptynester, don't let a few naysayers get under your skin. Plant some beautiful plantings and enjoy your property, front yard and back.

As far as deer, a Master Gardener friend of mine says it's not a question of what deer will eat, but when. In our area, it's not that they are ever starving, just that they seem to get bored and want to try something new.

almostemptynester thanked omelet
  • Related Discussions

Where should I plant this tree?

Q

Comments (35)
    Lovely. It's a very nice tree.....a top drawer specimen, not a disappointing cull. A couple of gallons of water trickled directly into the root ball daily plus the normal irrigation system cycle for follow up, then more water with a hose applied every few days....weaning the tree after a few months, as long as rainfall is adequate. Remember that it takes quite a bit of water to get through a thick layer of mulch and a dense turf. People often run their irrigation systems for a useless ten or fifteen minutes, which isn't enough to get past a layer of mulch or turf/thatch. The mulch looks a bit piled up against the trunk and I'd pull that away to expose the trunk flare....today. What a nice addition to the property!
    ...See More

Help! what should I plant for privacy?

Q

Comments (4)
    Since this is a choice of shrubs question, you'll get far better responses from the shrub forum. And since you mention wanting the winter sun, I'm assuming the planting will be on the south side of the house.
    ...See More

Risk from neighbor using synthetic mosquito spray?

Q

Comments (29)
    @flyngeorgiabelle, You need to call the Minister of the Environment. There are strict rules about applying this stuff and if the company is breaking any of them the MOE will warn them. Mosquitobuzz.com has a policy that if neighbours complain enough they will cut and run. They know this stuff is not the gentle flower-based product they claim to neighbours. We filmed them spray directly into our yard, I wrote an email detailing that they had sprayed me bodily when I was trying to get them to stop (five years later I have possible thyroid cancer and am waiting for surgery) and they sprayed on windy days allowing the product to waft into our windows. If they are doing those things you have a good case. Get video of it if you can (safely from a window inside.) The rules the MOE told me about are: they cannot spray on windy days, they cannot spray in the presence of humans, they must wear masks and protective clothing when spraying, they have to post a sign after spraying. They are also not supposed to spray anywhere near water sources since this stuff kills fish. It also kills bees and other pollinators. And cats - it is toxic to cats. Don't let your cats outside to eat grass that has been sprayed - one of ours developed a tumour in his stomach and had to be put down. This stuff is not supposed to be sprayed around children because it can seriously harm them. The company is in my opinion seriously evil for telling all of us it is an "all natural product made from crushed flowers." Crysanthemums are toxic to cats. Every product on Earth is "all natural" Agent Orange is 'all natural' that does not mean it isn't harmful. Please take care of yourself and stay away from this stuff. Ask the MOE to give you the product sheet on it. If you get sprayed, remove your clothing and put it in a ziplock - that is evidence in case you want to take things further legally. (I didn't know that until later). The good news is that if you complain enough the MOE will call them and they will stop spraying. OUr neighbours hired a different company the next year, and we took video of the guy spraying without a mask and the MOE shut them down. Our neighbours did not get a refund for that so they stopped hiring them. Thank goodness. OUr woods and animals and water sources are the better for it. The bees and monarchs are still few and far between though. Good luck and reach out if you have more questions. I have a fact sheet somewhere...Also - the company will tell you they have switched to a garlic spray (or it has been a garlic spray all along) after you complain. Garlic is also toxic to cats.
    ...See More

Best evergreen privacy tree/hedge to plant along fence?

Q

Comments (4)
    I would only use something like that while waiting for the plants to grow to over 12 ft. Long term, I want the plants to provide privacy. Obviously, it would need to be taller than shown in this picture to block the neighbor’s view from their 2nd story windows. Double that height? Would any of these work in this area?
    ...See More
  • galore2112
    7 years ago

Maybe they don't care about you and your house and your view and just want to sit outside and chill?

Just plant your trees and move on. You are obsessing way too much about these people.

• User
    7 years ago

I still owe my neighbor a sucker punch to the face, a pair of broken glasses, and a black eye for a month. I just wanted to plant 3 little giant arboritae on my property in front of his propane tank. Until I kick his ass I am an overpressurized can of whoop ass. All he needs is a swastica on his forehead and he would look just like Charlie Manson. I seriously live next to satan (and hes home 24-7-365)

Do whatever you want that is legal.

• adkbml
    7 years ago

I'm just going from what I see in the first picture posted above. I see a line of blue chairs positioned closer to the house then the road (it looks like they are about 20-30 feet off the road on their own property). I see an existing line of small pine trees where, if one more pine tree of the same size was added near the mailbox, you would not even see the line of chairs from that particular window.

• suellen19
    7 years ago

It is your property to do with as you want as long as it is within the law, which your attractive landscaping would be. Judging from the picture you posted of their house, I would want to plant to block my view of their house which badly needs to be painted. Just sayin.....

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

If I were to stand only in the corner of my dining room, then that would be a solution. :)

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think the weathered look of their "barn" is intentional.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    7 years ago

Do whatever you think is best. If they don't like it, they can retaliate in kind; They can erect poles with motion-activated floodlights aimed across the street. Since they predate the development, I cannot imagine they are party to any HOA rules.

• Catherine Z8-ish PNW
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your neighbors seem a bit 'threatened'...?

Maybe use sheilding plantings closer to your wanna-be-protected areas? Sorta like don't poke the bear?

• User
    7 years ago

Please know I have no "dog" in this fight, so take my opinion as worth what you paid for it....but those chairs seem to be lined up against their own barn, yes? In other words, they aren't sitting right up on the property line, or right on the shoulder of the road, but rather they lined them up against their own barn.

It reminds me of some relatives I have. They sit outside in a setting that looks very similar. They've always done that in the summer. And they're rather unfriendly people too - heck, they don't smile/wave at ME so I can't imagine how they would appear to new neighbors.

Are you sure they're trying to antagonize you? Maybe they're just generally sullen people who like to sit outside. It may feel like they're staring at you, but maybe they're just looking in your general direction because that's how the chairs face....which also just happens to face the road, you know?

• suellen19
    7 years ago

Oh that is a barn...guess I missed that. I would still rather not see it so would plant trees.

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's an addition made to look like a barn. Their house is extremely close to the road so while they are near their barn, they are really close to the road. Maybe they are just people who like to sit and be sullen -- but they never used to do this during the first two years that I owned this land before we built. Just a gut feeling, but there is something a little odd about it especially since it is a new behavior.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    7 years ago

Plant the trees. It's your land. It's your right. Do it now!

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Actually we are in the process of moving the berm over closer to the real property line and I am going to stagger arborvitae along the road and plant grass in the area.

• PRO
    Linda
    7 years ago

Plant what you want, where you want. I recommend taking photos of the plantings and the property stake as soon as you put them in. You don't want someone moving the stake and then saying you planted past your boundaries.

I would be tempted to line up my four chairs at the front of my lot and put four scarecrows in them, dressed appropriately for the season

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    7 years ago

Oh Linda, you are wanting a war! LOL! Don't put those chairs out. But you gotta admit that is pretty funny!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

I do like the turquoise against the brown of the barn. ;) (Hey, it's a color thing)

• missouribound
    7 years ago

Maybe they just like sitting outside in the shade, enjoying the breeze? I had a neighbor who was always outside, and never waved at me or anyone else. After I finally got to know her, I found out it's because she didn't like wearing her glasses outside and couldn't see beyond a few feet.

• lolauren
    7 years ago

"In my county, you can't build or plant anything that impedes someone's view. "

@ geoffrey_b What a foolish statement. At that rate, nobody could plant a tree. Is there a 'view' judge?"

I hope you don't mean my statement is foolish. It's just a fact. I am not saying I agree with it- just that it exists in my county and others. There are certain lots that are assessed as "view lots." Whatever that "view" is of is protected by that county code so people can't ruin someone's "view" (either by planting something or building something) and, in turn, decreasing their property value. It doesn't apply to all lots. View judge = property owner filing a code complaint that is investigated by a county code officer...

OP, if I was in your situation and there weren't any codes/ordinances stopping me, I would plant trees immediately without discussing with the neighbors.

• Architectrunnerguy
    7 years ago

"What a foolish statement"

Not really. In our county on the Chesapeake Bay where views are a big deal, there's a "Light, Air and View" section in the zoning code.

• User
    7 years ago

I would talk to them with a trained mediator in the room. Be very careful to be respectful, but state your case for privacy, for both parties. IE you say that because you can see them so much, you feel like you're invading their privacy, and you want to put in screening solution and what would be acceptable to them?

i don't agree with doing anything that could make them angry. You could have much worse problems than staring to contend with.

I do agree with Mark's invitation idea. Don't cut off their view altogether. Put yourself in their shoes.

• Najeebah
    7 years ago
    from all you've said, you've had absolutely no communication with them regarding this matter. I'm not suggesting asking their opinion on you planting trees on your property, but there could be a hundred sides to this, that have not been discussed in the least. This is asking for misunderstandings on all sides.
    so they haven't sat outside in the two years you've known them, and now do. so? as much as people here have said it's your 'right' to plant trees, it's their 'right' to sit outside against their barn wall, and if that happens to be rather close to the road, where would you have them sit?
    planting trees to enhance the environment, planting them for privacy, planting to contribute to a green world is great... but planting to block a view from someone who it is assumed is weird and spies on others, is not
  • almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't intend to communicate with them regarding my landscape plan. They will still have a view unless the people who bought the empty lot next door decide to build their house in their view area. I am not planting to block their view. I am planting so I have privacy from a busy road.

• Najeebah
    7 years ago
    with all respect, though its frustrating, try to be a bit more open minded, it will help your entire situation. I did not suggest you communicate your landscape plans with them, but your issue as you stated it, of them invading your privacy. the two are linked, so yes, the trees will feature, but the purpose is different. not 'what do you think of me planting trees', but 'for this reason, I shall be planting trees'. ok, I hear you, and understand that you aren't planting to block their view, but for privacy, the point is, do they?
    you also said, "I'm sure this is deliberate" no, you're assuming. that's the problem with a lack of communication. I see that your situation may be irksome, but if you simply go ahead and plant, they will probably be equally sure its deliberately done to obstruct their view. years down, you'd hate each other because you're sure the other hates you...
    You concluded the dilemma asking for advice and what people would do. I would not 'risk angering neighbours' as a starting point. I would go over with a peace cake as it seems we've gotten off on the wrong foot. I would state that I feel too close to them, particularly when we're both outside, and for that reason, will be planting some trees as separation. by doing so, you are showing them an unnecessary but appreciated courtesy. should they object, which I doubt, I'd simply apologise for their inconvenience, but make it clear that it is not to block them off but to have some valued privacy, and I shall be doing it. It would be a totally different situation if they were then angered.
    It helps to proactively deal with situations, not reactively. I wish you the best of luck and good neighbourly relations however you choose to proceed.
  • Architectrunnerguy
    7 years ago

Good points by Najeebah. Just keep the big picture in mind. An obnoxious coworker you can say goodbye to at the end of the day and on weekends, a neighbor, you can't.

Lived in a situation several years ago that just degenerated and it was not fun, the issue of right and wrong aside. With that in mind, had another situation with my current neighbor when we tore down a house and rebuilt it (it was about water on his property). It wasn't that great for a while and it could have degenerated too. But, with my other experience in mind, even though the building department inspectors agreed with me, I was proactive about a good relationship, sucked it up and things got better from there. The big picture was more important than the small picture. Today, we get along great. For example, when we were gone for two weeks, when he mowed his lawn, he mowed ours along with it although I didn't ask him to.

Back when we had the water issue, it could have very easily tipped the other way.

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I appreciate the comments advising me to somehow extend an olive branch to these people, but I think it would be completely futile. I have heard from another neighbor that these are not very nice people and no one seems to be friendly with them. They must have been obnoxious enough when the owners of the original farm decided to subdivide the farm into lots for them to plant giant spite trees right in front of their house to block their view. I really do not think that I am going to benefit from trying to befriend these people. It will always be an awkward situation with them, but at least I won't have to look at them and they won't be able to stare at me.

From experience, I am sure the people next door when they build are going to be hated even more than me because they will block their view much more than me. Nothing that I can do other than use my land the way I want to. I wouldn't tell them how to landscape or how to decorate their house. They likewise should have no say on how I landscape or decorate my living room.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

You are making assumptions based on heresy.

The only way to find out if there's any truth to what you're being told is to offer an olive branch. If they are as nasty as you have heard through rumors, then at least you made an attempt. However it could be a million other things. Maybe the farmer used to throw rotten tomatoes onto their lawn which is why they hated the farmer.

Maybe another neighbor had a beef with them and through gossip got everyone to believe him and now your neighbors across the street are ostracized for no good reason. You don't know and you won't know unless you actually go and speak to them.

However while I still say plant what you want, I also agree that you are making assumptions about your neighbors without having actually spoken to them.

• french toast
    7 years ago

I hope you update us after the new trees are up. I am really intrigued by this story! :)

• greg_2015
    7 years ago

You are making assumptions based on heresy.

And how dare you go against the Church!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think you mean hearsay.)

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update -- the trees are in on a berm on the property side line. Tomorrow the landscapers will put in the rest along the front of the property along the road on a berm. They still have "their" view across the yet-to-be-built-on lot, which really is the one that is directly in front of them. After thinking about this I really don't feel badly for landscaping my property. My lot is more to the side of theirs anyway. Maybe they just might be happy to have me blocked off too. You never know. I will post pics tomorrow if they complete it.

• User
    7 years ago

Looking forward to seeing it!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think you mean hearsay.)

OMG! LOL. Dang spell check and I didn't go back to double check what I wrote.

• pamghatten
    7 years ago

I would also plant whatever landscape you wanted. I just moved into a new (to me) house, and my fenced side yard with my patio abuts a neighbors side yard with their patio. I've already planted 2 bushes that will get quite large and give me some privacy, and plan on planting more.

He's a nice older gentleman, I haven't said anything about my plantings, but will probably casually mention what I'm doing the next time I talk to him. Regardless of whether he likes it or not, I would like some privacy so will continue my plantings.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

I have a similar situation, pamghatten. I put in a privacy fence between my (well-landscaped, if I do say so myself) yard and my neighbor's dogpen. My privacy fence blocks his view of the golf course, which both our back yards adjoin.

But I did not extend the fence all the way between our backyards - I left a 20 foot expanse open. It seemed rude, somehow, to close it all off. He and I and DH all attended high school together; we have known each other more than 40 years. Also, he is a professional man with whom my employer has a business relationship, which I don't want to mess up.

But when he set up a trampoline for his grandchildren less than 15 feet from the property line - right beside where there is no fence - I was sorry I had left that space open. So I am planting hydrangeas and a small Japanese maple there. Grow, dammit!!

• whaas_5a
    7 years ago

If you put in limelight those things grow to 6' from a 1 gallon in 3-4 years

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

They are mulching today -- will post pictures when they are done. I am already feeling much less exposed when I am outside. I wasn't home last night so I have no idea what, if any, reaction they had.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    7 years ago

Sorry to highjack - whaas_5a: I was browsing the closeouts at my local garden center just now and they had limelights on sale for $4.99! It was an omen . . . an omen, I tell you.

Anxiously awaiting pictures, almostemptynester.

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Those limelight look beautiful -- don't mind the diversion. You can always learn something new. I'll take pictures tomorrow. I think they should be done with that side.

• zippity1
    7 years ago

if they wanted the view they should have purchased your lot people should never purchase a piece of property expecting the neighboring views to remain the same

almostemptynester thanked zippity1
  • almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Trees are in -- posting a few pictures. The fishbowl effect is mitigated. :)

Interesting -- I looked at Google Earth and discovered that I am not nuts. The satellite images are older, from before we built. This is what their yard looked like then: Notice the one chair.

There was also a shrub on the corner of the drive, which blocked the view. It looks like all of the sudden when their view was disappearing because we started to build onour own property, they started lining up outside at night and staring across the road. Something is a little off with them, just a gut feeling.

• whaas_5a
    7 years ago

Certainly won't be seeing them in a few years! lol

Can we see some pics of your house now?

littlebug - nice pick up. They are bullet proof up here and flop very little after a rain if you allow the base wood to thicken up.

Sweet Summer is another fav of mine if you want the flowers to change color earlier. Super sturdy stems compared to other H. paniculata.

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

pre-landscaping

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Still under construction

• greg_2015
    7 years ago

It looks like all of the sudden when their view was disappearing because we started to build onour own property, they started lining up outside at night and staring across the road.

Or they just bought some chairs and started sitting outside more and it has nothing to do with you. People change their habits sometimes.

I'm glad you decided to do what you wanted with your landscaping and it looks great, but I honestly think that you are the one that is obsessed with your neighbour and not the other way around.

• almostemptynester
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for your opinion. I will continue to think the way I do based on personal observation. They have a reputation for angering most of the neighbors in the area btw. Even the local officials from the building dept describe them as difficult and nasty.

• User
    7 years ago

It sounds like your neighbors are jerks, so you don't need to feel bad about doing what you want to your property because it won't affect your relationship w your neighbors. However, if you have pets, I would think hard before poking the bear because stories of pets being hurt in retaliation is all too common in these 'disputes'. I would never risk it because there are other solutions available. If you have no pets to worry about, then I'd do what you want to do.

FWIW, I don't think it's weird for someone to realize their view may potentially go away and to start enjoying it more while they still can. Putting chairs outside one's home and facing them to the street is common everywhere and not creepy to most people. It's either done to enjoy views or to even see neighbors with the goal of being social. If facing views towards other properties and views wasn't acceptable, it would mean everyone who isn't ocean front in a beach town shouldn't have seating that faces the ocean because they would be looking through someone's property to view it. I get why you want your privacy though!!!

It's really common for even very nice people to be upset about losing their views and and seeing changes to their neighborhood. Change is expected and it's tough luck, but those feelings are understandable.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    7 years ago

Almostemptynester, the planting looks lovely. I would have done a similar planting, neighbors or not. I hate to feel exposed so have done similar planting around my place to feel a bit more able to walk outside and not be observed constantly.

Do you have wifi there yet? I hate to be this way but I would put one of those nature webcams out. My friend discovered that their crazy neighbor was spraying her offending bushes with roundup with a webcam after they had to replant more than once!

• autumn.4
    7 years ago

That looks very nice! Why would you not want to look outside and enjoy your landscaping and putz in your hard and feel like you are in your own space. Congrats! Oh and I love your side entry there by the garage, awesome! Go enjoy your space and if they choose to sit outside and you choose to walk around without the fish bowl your beautiful landscaping should serve to solve the issues in a very tasteful way!

I love that I can walk around my yard without anyone seeing me do so...until winter comes and the cover is gone but I'm not out near as much in the cold and nasty anyhow.

Edit: Annette my sister found the same thing with her neighbor once they put cams up. Killing their flowers and their garden. So strange.