SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rchris7029

Need help Identifying fruit trees.

rchris7029
7 years ago

Hello All,I am hoping to be enlightened as much as possible with knowledge of fruit trees and their care. i recently purchased a new home and the previous tenants were apparently avid gardners. they have many berry bushes and fruit trees on the property. it appeared they knew what they were doing. I unfortunately do not. this is all new to me, but would love to be able to grow my own fruits and so on. there are 2 apple trees on the property. They still had their id tags on them,so I know what type they are( Apple pixie crunch and Fuji) the bases are surrounded by a rubberized pad that apparently keeps rabbits and other critters from digging up their roots and the bases are wrapped about a foot and a half from the bottom of the trunks. The 2 other trees I am not sure what they are. I have been told many things by different people. Possibly peach,plum, cherry,and others. I have no idea,but they are starting to bloom a fuzzy round fruit. i have included pictures. Recently I have noticed those 2 trees to have a "disease" on them,one being worse than the other. The leaves are shriveling up. the previous homeowner did leave behind some chemicals for the trees along with some sprayers. I assumed the trees need to be sprayed. So I mixed the solution according to the bottle(approx. 1 oz to a gallon of water) and sprayed all the trees from top to bottom including the trunks. i have not noticed any improvement( I just realized by reading other posts that the trees should be sprayed at certain times of the year). And now spraying will really do no good. one person told me it may be due to frost. We had a very cold night about a month ago here in New Jersey and it appeared about a few days after that. But after reading some other posts, I don't think that was the problem. My best guess is peach leaf curl,but I'm not even sure what type fruit trees they are. The apple trees look to be doing fairly well,with some about 1.5" in diameter and getting color. Recently I noticed the leaves on those look like they are being eaten by some bug. Some other leaves look like they have small little "rust" spots on them. possibly starting as spots,then producing holes in the leaves. I'm not sure, but hopefully someone will be able to educate me on these topics so I can care for these trees in the future to have my own fruit and save some "green". There is also a garden that my wife is tending to even though we are still very busy with trying to get settled in. It has Rasberry, Blueberry, and some other berry along with tomato,lettuce,brocolli, cantaloupe,and other stuff. We have fenced it in to keep out the uninvited guests. Thanks to all for your advice.

Comments (3)