SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittymoonbeam

Realtor upset my sweet aunt

7 years ago

My aunt and uncle are selling their home near Austin, TX and want a property that has more land and more out in the country like theirs used to be years ago. They put lots of love and work into their house but the realtor that came hated everything and basically laid it out to my aunt that she had no taste in decor. To be fair, my aunt does like rich and dark colors but her stuff is more Home Goods decor than Wal Mart. The realtor was put off by her Red Hat guest room especially but I think all she needs to do is remove the goodies and mementos from the nice glass display cases and the fancy red satin bedspread and pillows and the room will look fine. They don't have clutter. All the walls were repainted last month but not with soft neutrals ( will try and get pix). Everything looks super clean.

There is also a home theater that is fun and decorated with red and gold curtains like a fancy movie palace. I think this is the place where the stronger colors are actually working and the room is very fun and there is a large couch and several chairs and a large built in media storage and super sound system. They enjoy this room in the house the most I think. The big front room is great and has beautiful southwest sandy colors for the tile and walls and has leather couches and a natural driftwood table. It has a large picture window looking out onto a well kept garden. That is the most neutral room in the house because my uncle wanted it that way. My aunt painted all the other rooms with brighter colors.

This house also has a lovely enclosed back deck that overlooks the woods and it functions as another room or outdoor dining area. That's my favorite space. My uncle keeps it simple. Just the wood plank floor, a neutral oval braided rug and a table for 4 or 6 with a few comfortable chairs off at the far end. I like that room for the view and the sound of the birds.

The realtor did not comment on the good things but said all the paint was to be redone and the theater ripped out and turned into a garage that connects to the house. ( They only have a covered parking with 3 walls to keep out rain and hail ) There is a maid's room + bath back there from the previous owners but my aunt uses it for holiday storage now. I know they made a mistake with the repaint colors ( inside and out) but is that normal for a realtor to get tough like that on the first visit?

Comments (47)