SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
onthebrinck

Off-Topic: Mowing my Neighbor's Lawn

onthebrinck
7 years ago

Or "No Good Deed goes Unpunished". Over the last few years, my neighbor has asked me the same questions about lawn care, I've given him the same answers and he'll get into it for a week and then lapse. I'll try to remind him of things he should be doing and he's very attentive and appreciative ... but again, his attention span is measured in days. This is only to introduce the fact that I pay attention to his gardening habits. A few days ago, he told me that his dad was gravely ill and he was commuting about an hour-and-a-half each way to visit him in hospital. I offered my sympathy. The next day, I noticed that his lawn had not been mowed in more than a week and was beyond the height that his push mower could ever manage without leaving a bed of dead grass in its wake. Obviously, his attention to his dad should take precedence over his lawn. I thought I'd help him out ... so I mowed his 1/2-acre lawn with my lawn tractor, bagging the clippings, and neatly spreading them out in the street in front of my house to dry (risking a fine from the town) until I could deal with them later. The next morning, I heard his leaf blower as he cleared some stray clippings (so I know he was home and aware.) But I haven't had a thank you (np: I didn't do it for recognition as much as for doing 'the right thing') ... but I have come to interpret his silence as anger that I had intruded on his domain. Hence the subtitle ... 'unpunished'.

Comments (15)