SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Grrrr, I just need to rant - neighbor mowing my yard

TxMarti
15 years ago

I like my neighbor, but I would like her a lot better if she didn't live next door! I've posted about this before, but I am so mad right now, I'm blathering about it again. Skip if you remember this rant.

When we moved in, her dh, now ex, planted a row of photinias down the property line. Now, to get our boat into the back yard through the double gate, we have to trim up the stupid photinias. So they are trimmed like a tree on our side & down to the ground on her side.

I can live with that, but ever since we have lived here (13 years) she has mowed on our side of the property line almost all the way to our driveway, mainly on my side. If she mowed at the same height I do, it wouldn't be a problem, but she mows at the lowest level, scalping to dirt in some places. Her lot is higher than ours with the sloped area being between our two driveways. As a result of her scalping, the ground is eroding. It is thin soil there already with that white rock about 3 inches under the dirt and hard to get anything to grow. I have talked to her about where the property line is and she is well aware that my line goes almost all the way over to her driveway, but still she scalps my side. I have also talked to her about cutting the grass higher so it will take root and keep the slope from eroding. She continues to scalp.

Last year I dug around until I found the metal rod that marks the property corner & put a flag on it so she could have a reminder where the line is. Didn't faze her. So I bought one of those cheapie folding metal fence sections and put it on the line, and planted some lantana on my side, next to her photinias. I had to fill in all the erosion crevices and mulch for them to grow, but they did. The fence was to keep her from mowing them down. And when I mow, I mow & weedeat on her side of the little fence because I know what a pain it is to deal with.

I have been fighting weeds around these lantana for 2 summers and I just found out why. I mowed yesterday & pulled up the fence so I could weedeat where the fence goes and then put the fence back. And she is out there tonight mowing on my side of the line again, and mowing right up against the fence shooting grass into that flower bed!

I figured when the lantana got big enough they would make a little hedge that would keep her on her side & I could extend it all the way to the road.

Ok, I have exhausted my rant. If anyone has a suggestion of something that will grow in 3 inches of dirt with not a lot of water, will grow thick enough to make a hedge and keep grass from growing under it, please let me know.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES