SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zacharys

Skybird: Update (I know EXACTLY what penstemon you gave me)

I remember last year when we were talking about your red penstemon that you collected from the side of the road in Utah. You believe it to be P. eatonii but I wasn't so sure so you shared with me a little baby one so that I could compare it to the eatonii I have growing in my yard.

Well, after a year of waiting the verdict is in, though it's probably not at all what you were expecting...

First, a picture of my P. eatonii which was the first bloomer in my yard this year...

I have to say, it's hard to beat the red on this guy...and red is my favorite color. I was hoping the hummingbird would be hanging around it, but I haven't see it doing so thus far.

Anyways back on track. I became curious a few weeks ago when you said your collected one doesn't bloom until midsummer...and my eatonii blooms in mid May.... plus the leaf shape was completely different. Something wasn't quite adding up.... Then the little flower buds began to show up not long ago. Hmmm, that was odd, I wasn't supposed to see flowers for at least another couple months...

Then they started to show color...and now, as of today, they are fully open...

The answer is.........

Penstemon strictus!

LOL! Your P. strictus must have reseeded near your red one from Utah and when you plucked a little baby one for me, that was it!

So, the mystery is still unsolved...although based on bloom time, I can say I am even LESS convinced that your red one is eatonii, as those are mid-late spring bloomers.

Comments (6)