SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Bathtub damaged by countertop installers - what to expect?

lkplatow
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

So we are remodeling our master bathroom and I've chosen an undermount tub with a stone tub deck. Today while installing the tub deck, the stone installers damaged the tub -- there's about a 1.5" long x 1/4" deep gouge in it. They owned up to it right away and seemed so upset about it that I felt sorry for them. I did call the tub manufacturer and they gave me the name of the acrylic repair person that handles their warranty work in my area. I left him a message and he called back while I was out so my husband scheduled an appt for him to come out but not til June 20 and I didn't get to talk to him myself to find out how easily this can be repaired. (I do have a call into him and am hoping I can text him a picture and get some idea of what is involved in repairing)

To their credit, the stone company did not make me pay the balance on my installation (a pretty significant amount) which would normally have been due today -- they said they wanted to deal with the tub first and they wanted to do "whatever it took" to fix it. So does anyone have experience with repairing an acrylic tub? Will the damage still be visible or will the repair be less durable over the long term? I figure if the damage can be fixed and the tub is as good as new that's a different ballgame than if there's always going to be some kind of "scar" or an increased chance of failure in the future. And I'm not sure what to ask for in either case -- at the very least, I'm assuming they'll pay the repair guy....and at most, I suppose I could insist on a brand new tub but that seems kind of crazy and would set my project back by another month-6 weeks while the tub is reordered then I have to round up the carpenter, plumber, etc......On the other hand, this is a brand new >$2000 tub that has yet to see its first bath -- the plumbing isn't even hooked up....sniff!

So WWYD, oh gardenweb friends?

Comments (6)