SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rameen_beroukhim

Enhancing lead phytoextraction

terrace4
7 years ago

I recently bought a home in the Boston area and my young children are excited to use the yard--but I suspect the soil is heavily contaminated with lead. We have removed all the siding with its lead paint, but I continue to find (and remove by hand) paint chips all around the skirt of the house. Also, the home is on a relatively busy street, so I suspect it received substantial lead contamination from leaded gasoline pre-1989.

I suspect that the only way to effectively remove lead from the soil will be to remove the soil, but we will not be able to do this for at least a year due to ongoing renovations--and anyway it would be great if we could keep the existing soil. So I've planted sunflowers in the hope these can absorb lead; I intend to discard them (roots and all) as hazardous waste in the fall.

I doubt sunflowers will do much to reduce lead levels, but I'd like to give them their best shot. I understand lead is mobilized and taken up by sunflowers most effectively when soil is acidic (and preferably when treated with a chelating agent like EDTA). The soil is currently full of dead roots from bushes we've cut down; my concern on the one hand is that the soil food web will sequester all nitrogen while it breaks those roots down, limiting the ability of the sunflowers to grow, and on the other hand, the resulting organic matter will buffer the soil and limit its acidity. I don't want to apply compost to enhance nitrogen levels for this very reason.

So I'd like to know--what would be the best approach to fertilizing the soil for the sunflowers while making it as acidic as possible? And do folks have experience treating soil with EDTA? Is EDTA available for this? Would doing any of this be dangerous?

Comments (7)