SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

Need help convincing a cat to move

donna_loomis
7 years ago

I did post this on the pet forum, but you all are "my people", so I am also asking for your advice.

Long story short, when I was a kid, Dad built an addition to our home. Existing kitchen door opened into the garage and what was once the back door (opening from the garage) became the door to the second "wing" of the house. Basically the house is a "U" shape, with the garage being the base of the "U". DH and I moved in with Mom 20 years ago and occupied the addition. Mom passed away earlier this year and left us the house. We have now moved into the house. We have four cats (all came to us as ferals of varying ages). One boy is about 8 months old (we bottle-fed him when he arrived last October), two brothers are about 12 years old (also bottle-fed them), and the girl was about three months old in September, when we brought her indoors after becoming semi-acquainted with her during mealtimes outdoors (I sat on a stool near her bowl and moved in closer every day until I was able to make contact). She is now about a year old.

We've been leaving the kitchen door and the door to the addition open at night for the last week. The litter box is in the garage and the food bowls are in the house. The eight month old wanders in and out, lays about in the house and sleeps with us at night. He's very comfortable. The brothers are a little less sure that this is the place to be, but they do come in to eat and they have no issue with the litter box in the garage. In fact, I found one of them sleeping in DH's chair in the house this morning. Little Bit, the most feral, just will NOT come into the house while we are visible. I know she is eating, because we have surprised her a couple of times, but she zips back into the addition as soon as she sees us. I've tried using a pointer to trick her into the carrier. This worked to get her to the vet for spaying, but I suspect she is not going to fall for that one again, LOL.

I would have no trouble bringing the other three cats in and that would be that, but I'm unsure what to do to convince Little Bit to come inside with us. One of my friends suggested that I just leave her in the addition with a litter box, but do not put food out for her overnight. The idea is that she will be hungry in the morning and come inside to eat. And if that doesn't work, do it again the next night. I don't want to be cruel, and that is why I am here asking if anyone can come up with another solution. Please help me.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths