SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cozypalmer

Duchesse de Brabant Guidance please

cozypalmer
7 years ago

Good morning from Dallas, Texas!

I have two beds of DB roses from Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham, TX, that were planted Spring, 2013. The first spring and summer they were beautiful, but have been disappointing since. I just read the very informative thread on DB roses dated March 17, 2016 and am hoping you all can help educate me on the care (mainly pruning) of DB roses.

The landscaping company that planted the roses has always maintained our lawn and beds. In the past, once the roses have bloomed, they "cut them back" which I don't consider proper pruning. So, here are my questions:

1) What is the proper pruning technique for this particular tea rose? Or should it be pruned?

2) Does improper pruning technique cause the red shoots (or is it canes?) in the pictures below? I do have a few buds on the red shoots, but they're so flimsy that I don't think they'll be able to hold the flower.

3) Is above the ground watering best for them?

4) Do they require fertilizing?

5) Is there a website that I could have found the answers to the above questions that I missed?

I've included photos that I took this morning of the roses. They bloomed in April and were "cut back" the first week of May (Our gardens were on the East Dallas White Rock Garden Tour May 15th and they were pretty sorry looking.) Thank you in advance.

Comments (16)