SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa1234567

Narrow Columnar Evergreen Suggestions/Advice; Plum Yew?

melissa1234567
7 years ago

Hello All - I'm continuing in my quest to source six narrow columnar evergreens (max width 1-2 feet). Was going for taxus media "flushing" or any of the similar yews and finally found one, only to then realize that they are extremely toxic to dogs and my dog does nibble on plants sometimes. So back to the drawing board it is.

Here are the pertinent details. USDA 7b, evergreens will be sheltered by masonry walls. Sun-part shade. Will be grown in raised garden beds, so I can control the soil/drainage reasonably well. I don't get deer, and we rarely get heavy snow and I would be happy to protect/truss it in the winter if needed. Other plants in the raised garden bed are a small 12-15" clipped hedge of dwarf english boxwood, climbing hydrangea, and near white daylilies. This is a small courtyard type space so I am trying to keep it simple with a palette of greens and whites (and some color in containers). Interesting color contrasts, foliage, texture, architectural interest is what I am going for. This does not need to screen or be a hedge. It needs to be non-toxic in that it will not kill or injure the organs of a dog--an irritant is completely okay.

I'd love to go with the fastigiata plum yew for its dark color and texture of needles. But, I'm wondering if it could be maintained to a width of 2 feet and if so, how difficult is it going to be to keep it looking nice and shapely? Does anyone have experience with this?

Others I am considering are Degroot's Spire Arborvitae (probably too light yellow-green for what I want), Green Spire Euonymus (looks to be a dark green, which I like, but I haven't seen a mature photo of one yet), Graham Blandy Boxwood (love the look of this one), Tiny Tower Cypress (love this but cannot seem to find it for sale), Lemon Cypress (probably too light yellow-green for what I want). Choices I am not considering are Emerald Arborvitae (too wide), Ilex Sky Pencil, and the Skyrocket type Junipers.

Your thoughts/advice/experience is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (6)