SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edarcellevance

WWYD? Formerly smart doctor now has dumb/rude nurse.

Darcy
7 years ago

A lot of friends and family members have complained about their doctors but I've always felt lucky to have ours. He's kind, personable, generous with his time, smart -- but not so smart that he thinks he knows it all. He's gotten our family through some pretty deep doo doo. But.

He recently changed hospital affiliations and moved to a new clinic. Only one of his longtime clinical staff moved with him, and she left a few months later, preferring to work closer to home.

Last fall I completed a home sleep apnea test. The results came back as severe. The new nurse was supposed to set me up with a company to provide CPap equipment. After two months ... crickets ... nada.

I called to schedule a follow up. The doctor apologized for someone "dropping the ball" and promised it would be set up promptly. While I was there he also diagnosed an ear infection for which I was given an antibiotic.

As soon as the antibiotic ended I developed new symptoms and called for another appointment. (I swear I'm usually healthier than this.) The doc ordered tests. As a result of those tests, he ordered other tests.

The nurse called to discuss the results but she didn't understand part of it. She also said the doctor would like to order another test if I was still having symptoms. I am feeling better but still having symptoms. I'd rather not have another expensive/uncomfortable test at this time. But.

The first test done was a blood test that showed an elevated white blood count, which the doctor said indicated an infection ... somewhere. I asked the nurse to check with the doc to see if he might consider prescribing another antibiotic. Maybe it would clear up the rest of my symptoms?

She didn't understand why I would ask for that and refused to talk to the doctor about it. After trying again to convince her to just mention it to him, she sighed heavily and said if I wanted to call back some other time, I could schedule appointment. Grrr.

I asked for copies of all of the test results. She said the office was closing for the day but she would leave them with another doctor's receptionist. Which, of course, she did not do.

The office staff was able to locate the results electronically and print them off. In looking at them, not only was my white blood count high, but there were three other indicators of infection that were elevated too. And on the urinalysis, 9 out of 16 markers were abnormal.

Now that I know this, I'm convinced it was not unreasonable to ask for an antibiotic. I don't think it was unreasonable to ask her to discuss my request with the doctor. I don't understand why she wouldn't just schedule another appointment if she wasn't comfortable relaying my request.

WWYD at this point?

By the way, I STILL haven't heard from the CPap provider either. Sigh.

Comments (34)