SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terilynv

Raven, thinking of you.

terilyn
7 years ago

We are flooded in, will be headed downstream toward you tomorrow. Sorry.

Comments (73)

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I also live in the Houston area. Our schools closed down all of that week too. We called it second spring break. We got all of our days excused and don't have to make up any. None of my children's schools flooded, but there were some in our school district that did. Apparently, a lot of the teachers, janitorial staff and bus drivers lived in the more flooded areas and couldn't have made it into work if the schools had been open.

Some of the staff such as bus drivers are hourly staff and don't get paid if they don't work. The district went ahead and paid them which is good. The school district also sent out an email. Students who were forced out of their homes because of flooding get frees school lunches because they were temporarily homeless. There was a little relief there for families.

• ntt_hou
    7 years ago

That's good to know that the school district cares. We don't hear that often enough.

• Related Discussions

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary, Raven and Mr. Raven!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks! We just went for a ride and walk on the beach. We had severe storms here last night as Cindy hit us here. It scrubbed the beach clean.
    ...See More

Raven, it's Feb. 7...did you close on the house?

Q

Comments (46)
    Dogs will ride in the stock trailer....cats in carriers. They will be the last things moved....we will have to take many trips to move everything. Including my collection of old concrete water troughs! ;) Tami, Jody is doing okay. He went to see the asbestosis lawyers and they were happy.....said he has the worst case they have seen in quite awhile....I think they said two years. Good for them....bad for him....except, he is getting along okay. He just can't exert himself very much. He is going to get some money out of it....don't know how much. My brother in law had it, and not as bad as Jody, and he died....not necessarily from that but he had cancer that did spread to his lungs. Sis in law got $22,000 from them last year. They still send the money, even tho he died.
    ...See More

Raven....this is for you! Puppies!

Q

Comments (13)
    tjkeen, I've never had one but have known several. My first encounter was with my brother's Brittany. I think he named her after a favorite Playboy Bunny, lol. Danes really want to be lap dogs, I learned. Brittany's version meant that her four feet stayed on the floor, but she would plant her behind in your lap! I've learned so much about these particular service dogs by being able to watch them on camera from birth to seeing them matched with a recipient. Many of the recipients are good about sending pictures, videos, and diaries over the years for us all to see. Raven, are you sure that they don't do matches in your part of the country? I thought that as long as a potential recipient could travel for a lengthy visit, on-site training with the dog, and can come back for tweaking training, then a dog can be donated happily. I may be wrong about that.
    ...See More

Raven....thought you would appreciate this

Q

Comments (4)
    And a pink tail leaves a lasting impression as she passes by. o j
    ...See More
  • ont_gal
    7 years ago

Mother Nature certainly isn't too happy these days.

You poor folks are flooding-and here we are,central Ontario Canada,and in a dry spell......

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

It's insane! It really is. I don't know what is going to happen if it continues to rain the way it has been. A couple of days of no rain is just not enough to make a difference at this point. We have broken two 500 year record for rainfall and flooding. All the rivers, creeks, and bayous are out of their banks well above flood stage. The water is now backing up and flooding neighborhoods and towns because there just is no where for the water to go. Plus here a huge problem we are having in this area is that debris from the previous flooding has blocked drainage ditches and drains. The county should have been out here immediately digging out the ditches so they could flow, the huge storms drains near the creek which are just around the corner from my street are completely blocked with debris from the previous flooding.. The county was called about it, these storm drains are there to help keep our homes from flooding. They sent out a truck, the men got out looked at the huge pile of debris shook their heads, got back in the truck and left and have not returned. So now with the creek behind us already over the banks on both sides and every bit of possible drainage blocked just guess where the water will come to. Our houses. This is not the first time homes here in our subdivision have flooded because the county failed to do their jobs and clean up the drainage ditches. So I will not be surprised at all if we flood again.

• socks
    7 years ago

If only I had words to ease your terrible anxiety. Sending you a hug.

Susan

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

Wow! You don't need any more flooding.

I've been looking at the news with the flooding around Simonton. There were several horses on the front porch of the house. They had no place else to go. They had an aerial shot. This house was completely surrounded by water. In some shots, you can't see where the Brazos River ends and normally dry land ends.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I saw that! They had been telling them to get the animals out, get the cattle out don't wait until the water comes. But in reality there's some very large Ranches with lots of livestock, not an easy task to get all the livestock rounded up and moved because then where do you move a herd of livestock to? Last night on the news they showed trucks pulling trailers full of horses out and water was just pouring out of the trailer. Poor animals. What I don't understand is that 21 year old man that drove into a flooded street, that actually was seen getting out of his truck and was safe. But turned around and got back in the truck. He sent out a picture of him in the truck under water to Facebook and his family saying I just wanted to get home. Then the witnesses said after he got back into the truck suddenly the truck flipped and went under! I can't believe anyone would take the time to send a dang Facebook post when they could be about to die. I just don't get it. If you are out and safe why on earth go back in the sinking truck. The witnesses did immediately call 911 more than the actual victim did, he was too busy posting a Facebook selfie. I am very sorry for the family and their loss, such a young man, a terrible loss. Too much death with this weather.

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

I don't understand that young man's thinking either. Sad situation. Raven are you getting more water in your house?

• lucillle
    7 years ago

Raven, I'm thinking of you, it is pouring here south of Houston.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Raven, I hope you're ok.

I know it might seem silly but I sure hope livestock can be saved. For a lot of people that's their livelihood and they'll sure need it after this. I can't believe this kind of flooding. We get a lot of rain but we don't get the flooding.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

It's pouring rain here right now. The driveway is flooded but not in the house yet. But as full as the creeks are I won't be surprised. Still no one has come to clear the drainage. I too hope all the animals can be saved.

Oh boy the weather man just said our area is flooding bad not to try to drive anywhere. I am not going anywhere. I was just in the house to look at the paint samples my husband put up, it started a downpour, and when I walked back (about 12 minutes total) the water was over my shoes rightright outside the house door.

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

Oh Raven, that is "not" good news. I am just so sorry for what you and so many others are going through. I watched footage on the tv today of all of that flooding. Just unbelievable. Praying the water doesn't come "in" your house again.

• ntt_hou
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ah, the footage on the news that most everyone outside of town is seeing is in the SW area of Houston where the Brazos River is located. Those homes are up to the roof under water. Quite badly around there and that's why it is showing on national news. Fortunately, it is alo very far from where Raven & I are.

Nevertheless, Cypress Creek which is located in our NW area is getting almost just as bad.

The rain we had a couple of hours ago has now subsided and hopefully, gone for the rest of the day. As long as we get a break, it allows the water to go down. Otherwise, I'd start to worry again. The ditches in front of my home is full. It won't take much more rain for it to flood over the street and my yards.

How's things at your end Raven? Are you still dry?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

The level of cypress Creek is now over the bank at the bridge near us. We are flooding. The water is currently rushing up the driveway at a very fast rate. The back yard is completely under water. I have no doubt that we will have water in the house again soon. I am watching the sensor for the bridges closest to us and the levels are going straight up. Theggraph has a straight up vertical line. It is to the bank and over the bank at most of the bridges here now. And what you have been seeing on the TV is the Brazos river and the San Jacinto rivers which are very far out of their banks. That's where these creeks would normally drain too. However that's not possible because they can't take anymore water. Hence the creeks are going to continue to rise and back up into the same areas it just flooded.. I just pray we don't lose power and that it doesn't get high enough to get into the rv. I am certain that the storage pods we stored our salvaged stuff in are likely already taking in water. They are not water tight at least not this kind of water. I was happy today because I made final decisions on paint and tile and stuff. Now I am sitting here listening to the downpour and my phone giving me flooding alerts.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Oh raven - not again! Can you and Mr. Raven take the RV and leave? You two stay safe.

• ntt_hou
    7 years ago

blfenton, Houston drain system was designed for rain water to run into the street so, it would stay away from homes. If rain falls faster than the system can drain, it causes flood. What this means is that the streets get flooded before our homes do. Thus, driving around during this flood condition is not a safe thing to do.

Raven, according to the radar (https://weather.com/weather/radar/interactive/l/77070:4:US?animation=true) , the heavy storm system that was here is now gone from our area. Hopefully, you won't get water in the house tonight. That is if Cypress Creek stop rising.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

Can you stay in touch with us this evening - worried now with dark approaching. Please stay calm and healthy, and don't let that wonderful DH try to be a hero with any household goods. I'm hoping the rain will quit and the alerts are just overly cautious given what your community has been through to date. I can't even express how much we would like to help and the distance has our hands tied - we'd be there if we could.

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

I wish there was "something" we could do to help you. All I know to do is to keep praying for you. I know you don't want to leave there or I'd tell you to bring that rv and come to us in Georgia. Our house is handicapped accessible and we'd gladly take you in. Please keep posting so we know you are safe.

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

The news is saying that area got 6" of rain today.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Well we did get some water in the back of the house but there's nothing in there and no new drywall in there yet. If it was going to come in that was the best spot. We continued to get rain for quite a while after it stopped at NTT house. The sensors at the bridges show the creek behind us considerable over the banks again. Every time it starts to drop just a little bit here it comes again. This was a major downpour of water in a very short time span, felt like forever during it. I am worried about trees falling again the roots are floating loose again. But thank you Lord for stopping when it did. We have 7 days of rain on the forecast but I hope they are wrong. I have not been able to check out the storage pods in the front yard yet to see how much water made it inside. Thanks Thanks and Thanks again for the prayers and positive thoughts I have faith it all helps.

Terilyn how are you doing? I know you guys got some heavy rain storms when we were getting ours. I hope you are dry and OK.

I was on the phone with NTT so I know she is OK and dry.

We have not seen traffic going over the bridge right behind us at the creek so it could be over the roads. We darn sure aren't going to see!

We really appreciate y'all wishing you could help! You are!

By the way I am really happy I made my finalfinal decision on my paint colors. They are Sherwin Williams Krypton for most of the house including kitchen and master bedroom and bathroom. And Sherwin Williams Mega Griege for the back bedrooms and baths. I hate picking out paint it's stressful.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

This is an example of the Krypton

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

This is a sample of the mega griege

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

Great, I've been checking to see if you had an update. If the water was going in anywhere, it sounds like it chose the best possible spot. Love your paint and tile choices (shown earlier) - that's going to be one updated house when you've finished with it. You can show us pictures and we won't need HGTV. ;-)

..... if the immediate emergency is over now, can you get some sleep?

• ntt_hou
    7 years ago

That's going to turn out beautiful Raven.

I'm a late, very late, night owl but fixing to go to bed in a few minutes. You should too Raven. The small approaching storm we saw in the West awhile back has disappeared from the radar. However,... there are 2 big storms approaching San Antonio and Corpus Christi at this time. They may arrive Houston in several hours. If they merge while approaching Houston, we're dead meat.

In the mean time, we should all get some rest before they arrive & begin to worry us again. Good grief, the tension is like a rollercoaster.

Btw, what type of flooring are you planning to put down? Just wondering.

I had carpet in the 2 bedrooms that the water seeped through. Since I didn't have risen water, I'm planning to put tile floor if budget allows. It's easier to clean up if it ever happens again.

I saw on the news, this man went through the Tax-Day flood. He just finished installing wood flooring when the 2nd flood (a few days ago) came through. I felt so bad for this man. After seeing that, I think I'm going to wait until this rainy season blows off before installing the floor. Even if it's going to be tile floor.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

(((to you all))) I've been thinking of you and I am still thinking of you.

• wanda_va
    7 years ago

I can't even imagine what you are going through. DH and I are praying for you and yours...and we pray harder each time we hear about more rain. Be safe and dry. Hugs!

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Well that was a sleepless night. Just about the time I was able to go to sleep the next round of thunderstorms hit. The thunder was literally shaking the rv. My little Mia girl was terrified. She was shaking and panting and nearly threw up. We had to hold her real tight and both of us petting her. I need to get her a thunder shirt. She has a hoodie I use to put on her real tight that worked pretty good but it got packed or ruined I can't find it. It rained and thundered for hours. And the next round is here right now! The thunder is awful. The rain is awful. It's all awful. I may just crawl under the quilt and hide with Mia!

• lily316
    7 years ago

I feel so bad for you, Raven. It's just impossible to think you are going thru this again. Stay safe and keep us posted.

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

Just can't believe that it is STILL storming. When will it ever end? I feel so bad for all of you that are flooding. Praying you don't lose power. Get some kind of tight clothing wrap on Mia....poor dog.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

upon further inspection in the light of day there is more water in the house than we thought. It came in all along the kitchen wall and the front wall. I just do not know why builders in areas that flood insist on putting those weep holes all along the bottom of the exterior walls. As soon as the water rises enough to reach those low weep holes the water come flooding into the house. I am insisting they seal up every one of those weep holes. The house is not so air tight that it will make that much difference and I rather take the chance of closing them then leaving them open and continue to flood every time it rains. Now we are going to have to dig out all along the exterior walls and install French Drains along there to try to divert some of the water away from the structure. It won't help in a big flood but it will help in a smaller one.

Thankfully they had not installed new drywall there yet. Nothing was damaged or lost. But they were going to install the drywall today but can't until that drainage is installed which can not be done in this rain.

The house we had in Dallas the termites had entered the house and walls through those stupid weep holes! Probably how they got in this house too.

• marilyn_c
    7 years ago

I feel so badly for you and all others affected by this. I just heard on the radio that the Houston area can expect 10 more inches of rain over the next few days. Here on Chocolate Bayou, we are okay. No worries about flooding. Sick of the mud though.

• lucillle
    7 years ago

Raven, maybe the crawfish you found got in through the weepholes? I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, I wish I could make the rain stop for you.

• ntt_hou
    7 years ago

Reporting: I got lucky. No water in the house.

Around 5 am, we had heavy rain that lasted about an hour. That was the small storm. The ditch in front of my house was full and about to run over the street & my yard. The rain stopped in time.

Then, the big storm arrived around 8 am but all I heard was thunder, no rain. It bypassed my area completely. Now, we have sunshine and occasionally a light rain.

There's this low air pressure swirling like a hurricane over Texas and Louisiana that is causing all these heavy thunderstorms. It seems to stick around and just won't go away :(

• Adella Bedella
    7 years ago

I saw this earlier today and thought ya'll needed to see it. Texas Sized Rain Gauge

(Sorry. I didn't want to post this image here without a link. )

I hate you're taking on water again. At some point it's got to stop so you can go back to normalcy and your brand spanking new house after everything gets replaced.

I'm not a weep hole fan either. I'm not getting your flooding, but these 'rain events' as my builder called it is leaking water into my dining room above the dining room windows. My builder thinks it's the directional rains. They'll replace the window if I want because it is under warranty. I have to pay for labor. No thanks! A weep hole or two is going. We can fill that our selves.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

Well it's pouring down rain here again right this second and thunder boomers too. Mia is in my lap shaking.

We got a lot of rain this morning with that storm . It is amazing how from one area to another the amount can differ. So glad you reported in Marilyn I figured you were OK over there since I have not heard anything about chocolate bayou.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

What is happening right now

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

The creek is directly behind that area of my back yard so it's coming up again.

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Oh no! I can't believe it's still raining.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

They just said on the news that we just had over an inch of rain in 15 minutes!

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

You are going to need an ark at this rate.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    7 years ago

The weep holes are what allows water to flood my house (not to the degree you have since we live on a hill) in heavy downpours.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I should submit some pictures. They ask for stories about dangers. I should submit about the county not clearing the drainage and drains.

Oh this happened yesterday. One of my neighbors was so upset about flooding again because the drainage ditches have not been cleared, she called the county and asked again for them to come out, we have all done that numerous times with no response, so when they told her they would put her on their list (normal answer). She said OK well if someone is not here at my house within the hour I am calling every news channel and reporting why we keep flooding and have them come out so they can see what we are constantly dealing with. They had two trucks at her house in 30 minutes. They cleaned her ditches and left! Did not touch any of ours. My husband was actually running after the truck to stop them and they just kept going. The civic club is going down there in person to present a letter notifying them of their lack of response to the community and our continued flooding because of their lack of response and to be prepared for legal action unless the situation is corrected immediately and continued monitoring and maintenance is done.

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

Your neighbor was smart. The squeaky wheel usually gets the grease. Guess you need to do the same thing Raven. I hope the Civic Club gets action for all of you.

• lindaohnowga
    7 years ago

Did you get any break in the rain today?

• tami_ohio
    7 years ago

Raven, and all others getting the torrential rains and flooding, you continue to be in my prayers. I am so sorry you have more water in the house! And poor Mia. Do you have any ACE bandages? If so, google how to use that instead of a thunder shirt until you can get one. I saw it posted a while back on Face Book. As I don't have a dog anymore, I didn't read it, but had tagged Stacy (Grinch_Gut) because her dogs are just as bad.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    7 years ago

I will have to check that out using an ace bandage. I had planned on sewing her a thunder shirt but now I can't.

It rained off aand on today . We are supposed to get some better weather soon I am hoping they are correct. Tomorrow we will get out and get hair cuts.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz