SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dogkitten6868

Rose troubles, paranoid newbie, help!

dogkitten6868
7 years ago

Hi, this has to be the third question I asked this week, but I'm going to do it anyway. So, I have these new ownroots (2 HT,1 floribunda, minature and David Austin) and I think they are doing OK (though I'm picking aphids off them every morning) but there is always some miscellaneous damage on the roses -they arrived perfectly unscarred (1-2 weeks ago) , but now are developing some problems that as a novice I have no idea if I should be worried about them. I am just going to list them:

First off, there has been some dark spots appearing on one side of my jude the obscure, and on my minature teddy bear, jude's probably the most healthy and least scarred, but the dots worry me (all those horror stories about blackspot). Teddy bear, seems to be yellowing and also has some spots, I can't tell if I'm overwatering him or underwater him, or something else, he also had a bud that was growing in, but somewhere along the way it disappeared, and I'm just left wonder what happened.

Second, there has been some random dry edges and spots in the middle of my ebbtide's leaves, an one of the buds seem to be very lopsided with its center all the way to the side. I don't know if it's insects of whatever. Also there has been some light webbing between the plants, just a few strands of silky material, I think they are just spiders so I'm not so worried about that.

Third, my new rugosa, when I got it seemed much more vigorous than my other but soon started to dry and cant seem support the weight of its own leaves. (I planted siberian irises and acetic lilies around both of them)

Lastly, just a quick question about sprays, I have Dr earth fungicide and insect spray, but I don't know how often I should use them, or only if the roses seem like they need them.

I really am new at rose gardening (and gardening in general) but I am willing to learn and put time into this as long as these roses can be happy. There are a lot more on the way btw; im digging beds for the fall. ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME (I'm in zone 6bish)

Photos!

Jude the obscure

Teddy bear, smaller band

Ebb tide ( it has a flower now!)

Rugosa (2nd one)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths