SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

Need to hear opinions about giant climbing rose plants (warm climate)

User
7 years ago

I'm here in Tuscany, Italy. I'm building my garden on very poor soil which has never been cultivated before, so there are often soil issues,especially since I'm learning as I go. I've been working on this garden for about 15 plus years.

Two of my roses have become "jolly green giants" : Kordes' Laguna and Austin's James Galway. Both are way taller and wider than sizes stated on HMF; to hazard a guess, I'd say 3 meters by 3 meters, and very, very leafy and bushy.A couple of years ago they bloomed quite well, but the last two they have become stingy. Laguna used to be covered in flowers; this year only sparse buds. James G, a few years ago, was so beautiful that I was tempted to get another one. True, the flowers were mostly bourne too high up for me to see them properly, but I told myself that horizontal training could fix that . Instead, the last two years have been pathetic: few flowers, mostly ill-formed and dwarfed. I think that, for one thing, I forgot to fertilize them, which is part of the problem. But I am also wondering: have they both just gotten "too big for their britches"? I'm a minimalist pruner; I like my roses to be huge,though I THOUGHT I'd pruned James G quite a bit (did not cut down like an HT; attempted to prune as a climber). But would severe pruning help these guys to bloom better?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH