SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_morris59

Which climbing rose to plant along a driveway?

Hello all! This is my first post although I have been reading bits and pieces on GardenWeb for a long time. I live in South Australia, but have chosen to post my rose question here because this rose forum seems much more active, I hope that's OK?

Recently I bought half a dozen climbing roses at a plant sale, very cheaply, and somewhat on impulse. To date, my rose experience is limited to the two dozen white Iceberg shrubs planted out the front of our house by the previous owner, and a few David Austin roses I planted myself to add in some colour to the Icebergs. I want to plant some climbing roses next and that is what I bought the other day. Roses do very well here and so far everything is very healthy and happy.

I have a few places in mind to plant my climbers, but the one I need help with is alongside our driveway where I want to put something tall to grow up the side of the house and under our bedroom windows which are about 10 feet high. Basically, my choice needs to be tall but easily trained to be quite flat so it doesn't take up too much driveway space and damage any cars! This wall faces West, which is my climate means it gets no morning sun, but plenty of afternoon sun and in Summer it will be blasting hot.

I have narrowed my bargain rose choice down to:

Crepuscule (350cm or about 11 feet)

Golden Showers (300cm or 10-12 feet)

Zephrine Drouhin (350 cm or 10-12 feet)

Pinkie (200cm or 6-8 feet)

Does anyone have any experience with these roses and can advice which would be best to plant to train to a narrow space?

Thank you! Looking forward to spending more time here in the future :)

Comments (6)