SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylor_barranco

Got too excited, and maybe planted figs in inappropriate soil...

Taylor Barranco
7 years ago

Hi everyone,

About three or four weeks ago I planted young figs (plants just a few inches high) from Baker Creek into the ground. I don't quite have clay soil, at least not the red clay like you find commonly in Oklahoma. But, I have probably something like clay loam. It's thick, but when I did some of the clay tests by hand, it didn't quite pass a full clay test. In other places, it's totally fine and looks great. Basically, it could stand to be more loamy, but I've got a blackberry thriving in it.

Anyway, I tilled my ground and amended some places with peat moss, particularly for the sake of my blueberries. I had enough peat to add a little bit into where I was going to plant another fig. It's doing great and visibly growing. The other two figs, I planted just in the normal soil. They look nice and green, but not really growing. I thought figs did well basically anywhere, but with my visual evidence and something else I read online, perhaps the soil might be too heavy for them and hold water too much. So, a few questions...

1) It's been about 4 weeks. Can I dig out my figs at this stage and add some garden or potting soil to the ground to loosen it up, or even some vermiculite I have on hand?

2) Even if I were to loosen this soil, surely over time the figs would want to expand out. How could I keep fixing the soil? Just till in compost/green manure every year and let the worms work it out? A cover crop that will break up heavy soil? I guess this is more an all-purpose question.

Thanks!

Comments (6)