SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Exciting Surprise! but need help, any pros on starting fig seeds?

bonechickchris
12 years ago

Ok, I have posted before about my grandma's fig tree that was brought over years ago from the Salerno region of Italy probably 80 years ago. It was around when I was young, but was lost years ago.

After talking to several others, it is a good possibility that it could be Fico Trojano. I have tried to get this variety, but cannot seem to find anyone who has it.

I wish when I was younger, I would of known about cuttings and such as I do now.

But I have been on the search for her tree for a long time. And this is how I originally got started with collecting figs the last few years.

Fast foward to now. The other day I was going through a box of stuff that I had not opened since I moved. I found an old Oreo Cookie can that I had several veggie and herbs seeds in the late 90's. I always was in the garden with my dad growing up, but when I was in my late teens, I started to start seeds myself and I guess I kept those seeds in this can.

What was interesting was what I found. Tucked away in an old crushed plastic cup, was a dirty looking, yellow paper towel. The rubber band around the cup was all dried up and brittle. So I opened up the paper towel to find a bunch of dried fig seeds! Then it came back to me! I actually saved seeds from one of those figs all of those years ago!!!!

So imagine my excitement when I found them! But then reality set in. How I am ever going to get any of these fig seeds to germ that were from about 1998?

So, this is where I am at now. Although I have started just about every veggie seed, and fruit and herbs seeds, I still have never planted fig seeds before.

I do not know what kind of germination qualities they have. I know seaweed extract helps germ other seeds and do not know if it will help here at all.

And even if I do get lucky for some to germ, I do not even know what my chance is to get a true variety.

So here is where I can use a lot of help!

-What is the best way to germ fig seeds?

-Any type of germination excellerator or powder to use to help?

-Do fig seeds usually germ true to the plant they grew from?

I have just over 100 seeds. If any of you pros out there think you would have a better chance than me to germ these, I would be happy to share some too.

I am really hoping this will work someway, and how happy I would be if it does, mostly for sentimental reasons.

Thanks again for all of your help! Christy

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living