SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

As far as me recommending Speed Queen

mamapinky0
7 years ago

I don't. I have a 9 month old top load SQ ..When it was delivered it had a dime size spot of rust on the tub, it also had sharp ridges on the tub where it was welded. I have had ongoing problems with this washer for months now, that service has been unable to rectify. To date these are the parts that have been replaced, and remember this machine is only 9 months old.

Friction ring

Milk stool

Base plate

Pump

Belt

Yet the problems continue and service hasn't a clue what the problem is. More parts were ordered and will be installed within 2 weeks.

Motor

Spring

Timer

This is a lot of parts for a relatively new machine.

Speed Queen will not give me a replacement machine and the dealer will not send the request in to SQ for a replacement. I believed SQ would stand behind their product and do the right thing, they haven't. I also believed my dealer would stand behind me and the product he sold me, he hasn't.

Oh, I believe these machines are probable the best as far as any other old skool machine on todays market...but problem is there are no other old skool machines on the market to compare it to, possiably that is why its rated so highly to some people. I have a young Speed Queen that makes a loud disturbing honking noise during operation, it also doesn't spin the clothes out completely if it spins at all.

No I don't recommend Speed Queen washers. Speed Queen has let me down. I have half a notion of placing this machine in storage and pulling out my old Roper.

If anyone from Speed Queen is reading this..I reached out to you 4 times in 4 months, you did not solve my problems. I don't know what's worse my LEMON of a Washer I bought from you...or my broken dream of owning a Speed Queen.

Anyone considering a Speed Queen washer, ask yourself why.

Comments (44)

• beaglenc
    7 years ago

That looks like a good message to send to the CEO of Alliance Laundry. They always say "stuff flows down hill better than uphill". It's to the point and calmly stated. Might be worth a go.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

SQ and/or the dealer tech are acting like parts-monkeys. I'm failing to understand what relation the timer can have to mechanical issues. The original factory mis-installed friction ring (or whatever was the problem with it), milk stool (which is a support for the transmission/tub), base plate, and belt cannot possibly have affected the timer.

• Related Discussions

Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post

Q

Comments (236)
    You don't say whether your FP washer is a TL or FL. In my opinion and experience, having to buy ANY washer & dryer these days is a dilemma in itself. If you buy some Top Loaders you can have some control over the water level; otherwise, forget that with any and all Front Loaders. My Speed Queen FL (cost $1800) is built like a tank and works like a charm except for the water level (13.4 gal split between washing and rinsing!???). San Diego Steve will tell you that is plenty and he has even posted that he sold that model and bought the newer one which uses even less total water per wash cycle (11.xx gal I think). He and I are in complete disagreement on how 4 gal of water can rinse a set of King size sheets that remain in a wad. So FL vs TL is the first hurdle. I'm not sure how much water a SQ TL uses, but that would be my first question. My FL spins like crazy. I would have bought an FP but they are not sold anywhere in the Dallas, TX area. Maytag used to make a Centennial model which my daughter in law has and it has a deep rinse which fills the tub, but might no longer be made. Sorry not to have any more helpful information. The Chinese factor would scare me off as well with the FP. Good luck and please post your final decision with the outcome. It will be up to date and may help others.
    ...See More

Any downsides of getting a speed queen washing machine?

Q

Comments (46)
    I just bought the front loader and dryer and I really like them. I did extensive research. I could have gone with a pretty looking machine with iPhone compatibility etc...but it would end up in a landfill in about 6-7 years so I opted for the speedqueen and as mentioned earlier about size being smaller than the big plastic ones? well...it cleans just as great if not better than those bigger ones. This has ceramic inside I stead of plastic so it won’t mold as easy either. I went for quality over looks and I’m very happy that I did! Yes it cost a little more but it makes so much more sense in many ways! It’s a serious machine not a trendy puffball. I have the newer version with electronic buttons and the watrenty covers EVERYTHING for 10 years...the other machines only cover a few things. very happy
    ...See More

Speed Queen: Which Site to Ask Speed Queen Questions?

Q

Comments (3)
    gables, there is a man who has posted numerous videos of all of the Speed Queen washers on Youtube. His name is Kirk Rivas. I am building a house in San Antonio, TX. Kirk is located in Austin which is about 70 miles away, so I phoned him in the hopes he would deliver that far (I also need a Kitchen Aid refrigerator and he sells those). Unfortunately for me he does not extend to San Antone, but he was very helpful and answered a number of questions for me. The name of his dealer is Appliance Associates, and the # is 512-454-5896. Take a look at some of the videos and then maybe you can call him and ask if he could help you.
    ...See More

Need Dryer Recommendations for Speed Queen Washer

Q

Comments (17)
    mamapinky0 Can you give me a link to the SQ thread? I'll be more than happy to post there. I am still new to houzz, sorry. mrb6228 the max depth in my laundry closet is 31". With the dryer vent attached, I need at least 4" clearance in the back. Width isn't an issue. ci_lantro the dryerbox would be ideal but I am not able to tear down a wall to install this. My understanding is that's the only way it can be done. Am I correct? plllog I can't make modifications to my wall and it's not a new build. Right now I am just focusing on getting the SQ washer and will settle for a non SQ dryer. When I have more space, then I can get the SQ dryer.
    ...See More
  • stchuck14
    7 years ago

I honestly would not recommend Speed Queen either. I have a SQ front load washer and dryer that are inconsistent in their performance. They are less than one year old and sometimes the pump does not pump the water out and many times the final fast spin speed is not reached even with what appears to be a perfectly balanced load. The dryer will dry clothes more thoroughly on "less dry" than on "more dry" and results are varied. The dryer is also extremely loud (actually both are) and lately has been whining and squeaking. The interior of the dryer isn't even polished. I long for my old Electrolux set. I paid way more money for this set and believed that it would be the last set that I buy. I highly doubt that now. The performance/Price/reliability ratio is just not there. There is the belief that Speed Queen's offerings in top load washers are the closest to what those of us that are older were used to twenty plus years ago. I suppose this may be true but the Speed Queen top loader of today does not hold a candle to the Whirlpool built direct drive top load Lady Kenmores I had in the 80's and 90's. I think in longing for the past we have latched on to the Speed Queen brand and maybe unjustifiably so.

• MizLizzie
    7 years ago

Pinky, I am just so sorry for all that you've been through. If I could unload my new ATE9A tomorrow, I would. After the way they have treated you -- their greatest online champion -- I would not recommend them to anyone. Yes, all the other brands' service sucks these days. But we paid for Speed Queen reliability and service, and you did not get it. I rather doubt I would, either.

Maybe we should all chip in to Mama's legal fund. I think she should sue the bastards.

• practigal
    7 years ago

You need to look up the lemon laws in your state and see what it says about how to resolve the problem under those laws. You probably have to make a formal written demand that they take a particular action and tell them that you are claiming your rights under the lemon laws. Also there may be some kind of consumer protection board in your state and I would definitely file a complaint there. I have personally never found the BBB helpful and here in Los Angeles they were closed down because they were dishonest.

• MiMi
    7 years ago

I fell bad for you Mama... I hope they step up and do the right thing. I'd just be sick if it were me...

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

If you need help with a letter just holler. You have my email. I do stuff like this is my sleep. I expect I'm not the only volunteer.

There must be something in writing.

I do truly believe there also must be an in person visit to the dealer, cell phone in hand, with video going of the conversation. Take a friend with a phone if necessary.

Sad to say, shaming them is the only way to get this replaced.

At worst, let the dealer just buy back this machine from you and get credit from SQ. That must be asked for because it is clearly defective and cannot be repaired.

Then you will figure out how to proceed from there with your cash in hand.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

@pinky - Here is a link to corporate officers of Alliance Laundry/SQ. Me, I would write to the head of global manufacturing and to the head of engineering. Would include links to videos.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

http://www.letters.org/complaint-letter/complaint-letter.html

Good site with samples for complaint letters; brief, concise, as objective as possible. Pinky you know how to do this, you've said it here, no fireworks, the facts and requested fix. Good luck.

• rpsinfoman
    7 years ago

I just don't understand what the relationship of the dealer is to a replacement? If the company wanted to replace that machine, they would make it happen. I know SQ isn,t exactly main stream, but revenue margins can,t be that tight. It's a washing machine for Christ sake and cost em a few hundred bucks to make.

• linus2003
    7 years ago

My dear MamaP.

I am so sorry for you, you have been let down on your dream and that is hard to rise from. Now please take roc up on helping you to write. If I was us born I would help in a heart beat but to far and do not know how in US.

We are all here, standing behind you, strongand ready for a fight.

Sending only good and happy thoughts to youand your family.

Björn

• Jody
    7 years ago

Now I am afraid to buy one. You might remember me saying that it was my dream to own one, but with all the problems you've had, I would be PISSED if I paid that much money for one of those machines and had the bad experience that you've had....and I never have good luck with appliances. My dishwashers always go down within 3 years. Washers...I've been through 3 in 6 years. My very expensive refrigerator's ice dispenser has been replaced or fixed 3 times in six years....and the frig is rusting below the water catch tray. I just don't have good luck...don't get me started on my bad luck with central A/C units.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jody, I can't recommend a queen..at least not until someone does right by me. But I can say..there is a risk no matter what brand you buy, there are lemons in every brand. Remember I had 2 GE' and a LG FL last summer that all went back.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jody..my mind is going lol..what machine do you have now?

• Jody
    7 years ago

Right now I have a TL Whirlpool. Before that I had a Front Loader Maytag that was a total lemon. Before that I had a TL Frigidaire that caught on fire.

• ci_lantro
    7 years ago

I've had a good experience with my almost 6 years old SQ top loader. Mine is the bottom of the line AWN412. No problems with it.

• User
    7 years ago

My machine is 14 months old and not one problem at all. I have the 432 and love my machine.

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

Would be more convincing to see SQ repair stories here.

• homechef59
    7 years ago

I've got a SQ TL basic. I love the machine. It's rock solid. A few years ago I purchased a pair for my aunt. She loves them. They do the job.

I'm sorry you are having an issue. It sounds from your post that you have a lemon repairman. Your dealer isn't much better. I am puzzled why you accepted a machine that had a rust spot and rough edge when delivered. You should have rejected the unit if it was an issue for you.

You need to get on the ball and contact Alliance Laundry in writing and specifically ask for a replacement or one of their technicians to resolve the issues. They can't fix it if they don't know about it. Their auditing department may be doing it for you. Be sure to refer them to this thread and to GW threads in general. That should light a fire.

I wouldn't have purchased a SQ if I hadn't read the Laundry Forum. It worked for me. I'm delighted with my machine. I can still heartily recommend SQ based on my personal experience. It's too bad you are having a problem.

You need to give Alliance a chance to rectify the situation. Cut out the dealer and the repairman. Specifically ask for a replacement unit. Squeaky wheel or in this case tub gets the grease.

• Joel H.
    7 years ago

Mama, I would be soooo pissed! I have been following this discussion for week, and you are way more patient than I would have ever been. Need a washer?...I have a few extras to spare. ;)

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

She accepted it with manufacturing defects because she figured they could be addressed later under the much-praised multi-year warranty covering manufacturing defects.

All the Google searches I've tried show SQ being above reproach. Only we who follow forums find out about the problems.

• paperweights
    7 years ago

Mama, I purchased a new Speed Queen TL in March. Previous to this ridiculous situation, your praises of SQ had made me pleased to think that if my machine had any problems, their superb warranty would quickly correct them. Now I am nervous that something could happen and I would be treated like you are being treated. As of now, if I had it to do over again, I'd purchase a different machine. Sad to say, their reputation has been badly tarnished because of their poor performance on the service end. I am hoping that Speed Queen will rectify your situation quickly in a satisfactory manor so that I can again recommend Speed Queen to my friends.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Home chef...I knew the tub had a lifetime replacement warranty..it wasn't all that..but with everything factored in...but even than when I called right away they wouldn't replace the machine...just the tub. And I didn't see it until it was to late

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jane...I'm sure your machine will most likely be fine for many years..these machines are noted by consumers as being reluable and for longivity....I think my biggest problem lays with my dealer..they refuse to call SQ themselves.

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

I hope you get this solved soon. The only reason we were considering the SQ was reliability, and this is making us really look at other options.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sash..have you researched SQ and the other brands? I would never base my decision on one persons problem. Doesnt matter which brand you choose if you look there are horror stories just like mine with all brands ..I have read my paperwork...my dealer is 100% at fault in my case. Its my dealers responsability to contact SQ and say...this is what's happening to MamaP's washer, the repairman has been there ××× amount of times, he has changed ××× parts yet the problems continue, please send a replacement machine...but my dealer won't do that. In fact he told me he's never seen a SQ with issues like this and he's never requested a replacement and he's not going to start now. I could be barking up the wrong tree, but I place most of this blame on my dealer.

• sashanikki
    7 years ago

I have researched SQ, and my next door neighbor has one. You're right, most brands do have bad reviews and SQ does have more positive reviews than many. SQ does use independent dealers, and I thought that was a good thing, but maybe not when dealing with this kind of problem. Our local dealer gets so so reviews on repair issues, so I'm going to talk to another dealer a little further away. Your experience has made me see that the dealer/service people are important. We're not as crazy about the look of the SQ as compared to some of the other machines so dh and I have been looking at other brands as well. Our laundry room is right off the kitchen. It's all so different than 15 years ago, and I think we're confusing ourselves.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Its good to research different machines...but remember looks have absolutly nothing to do with it...a washer should be chosen for preformance and individual needs, not how it looks. You choose your sofa for comfort and attractive looks not a washer LOL.

• Lisa Samson
    7 years ago

We purchased a GE washing machine (made in Lou KY) that has a large stainless steel tub and an agitator about 1 yr ago. It works perfectly. We love it! I feel for you. There's not much to a washing machine, it shouldn't be problematic. My guess with SQ is that in an attempt to be as cost effective as possible, their QC has suffered. The ironic thing is that when that happens, their own warranty should save them, but they are so intent on cutting their costs that they don't honor their own warranty! Maybe you can find an individual repairman who can fix your machine. If you have to purchase another machine, I recommend GE, ours is terrific. Also, don't buy a Samsung. My son and daughter in law purchased a Samsung, also highly rated. Their Samsung has no agitator, and my son doesn't like it either. Keep in mind, he just cares that his clothes are washed, but he said that it leaves detergent residue on his clothes. They use Tide Pods, and it is still a problem. I think with washing machines that it is better to stick to the old design, a lot of the new features only work to our disadvantage . I don't think that SQ is ever going to replace your machine. Apparently, bad PR from one owner is not enough to make them replace your machine, kind of like the Ford Pinto in the 70's.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

That dealer needs to do the right thing. I would go and get in his face. The "he's not going to start now" is ridiculous. Does he want to have a business or what?

If you paid with a credit card you likely can force him to do it. Hope you did.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Roc I paid with Wells Fargo.

I'm counting down the minutes as speed queen doesn't open till 9..lol

• wekick
    7 years ago

We have at least a dozen sets of SQ TLs of various ages that go all day Mon-Fri in our business and have never had so much as a service call but I totally sympathize with you because of our experiences with other appliances especially Wolf. I used to be a big fan of their ovens on the appliance forum until my range had a catastrophic chipping of the liner. My previous fan status on the appliance forum did not help me. They would post right along in the same thread with my complaints totally ignoring them. This was a known issue with many ovens affected and they would do nothing for my oven. It sounds like much of the problem with your SQ is the dealer and their repair company but SQ needs to step in. I for one will be watching to see what they do. The most loyal customers are the ones that might have an issue but the manufacturer rectifies it quickly and goes above and beyond. They are past doing it quickly so they need to go above and beyond here.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just spoke with SQ.. he explained. ..my dealer bought the machine from a distributor (Appliance Dealers) SQ gave me the number..I called and they don't speak to the public.

SQ told me my dealer has to call their distributor themselves and the distributor is the one to issue a replacement machine. SQ also told me, your service tech is just throwing parts at your machine in hopes he will eventually get it right. His recommendation ..call my dealer back and request they contact their distributor..I placed another call to dealer and am waitingfor a return call. Cant get in there this morning.

So what happens is there are 3 channels.SQ..the distributor..and the dealer...and the only one that can help me is the distributor..and only if the dealer asks them.

• MizLizzie
    7 years ago

This is bullshit. Pardon my French. But I am just so angry. This is TOTALLY on Speed Queen. They have been contacted, and they should not be passing the buck. I suggest serious Facebook shaming. I understand that they do have a presence on FB. I am not active on Facebook, but I believe there are tools for making this happen?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am going to try to figure face book out..I have a heck of a time with FB lol.

Yes SQ has been contacted now 5 times..and I get the same story. Once it leaves our facility and lands with a distributor..its now up to the distributor who only the dealer can talk to.

• suburbanmd
    7 years ago

Yep it's BS. I bought my Asko from a dealer who got it through a distributor. Neither of them would eat it, and in the end I got a check from SZ/Wolf for the exact amount I paid the dealer. The accounting wasn't my problem. And you want something much simpler, a swap. You consign your defective washer to SQ, and they consign a new replacement to you.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    7 years ago

But worse case..my Queen is rebuilt part by part. Speed Queen obviously needs tax write offs if they are willing to keep paying for parts/labor.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

This needs a personal visit. You stand over them while they call the distributor to arrange for the replacement.

If they don't do that, you call Wells Fargo and create an inquiry on the charge. You go for a charge back because the machine is defective and cannot be repaired.

• homechef59
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Mama,

I have the old style mechanical SQ TL and it is fine.

But, I wanted to tell you about my experience with my Bosch Nexxt FL. It sounds as if you are having a similar issue. It worked intermittently. Sometimes it was fine. Sometimes it wouldn't spin dry just drain. I just never knew when it would work or not work. This behavior became more and more frequent until one day it wouldn't spin at all and ceased to work. I did some research on my particular unit at GW. Because it was out of warranty I called for service.

Armed with my GW information, I insisted that the service tech do a computer diagnostic. Just to be thorough he checked one or two other possible mechanical issues. The barrel spun freely with no problems. After he did the diagnostic, we determined the control board needed to be replaced. He also said the barrel bearings were in the process of wearing out, I had too much play in the barrel and it would go bad in the near future. Between both costs, I decided to replace the washer with the SQ TL manual.

The reason I tell you this is your repairman can replace every item in the machine and that control board still won't work. Until he does a diagnostic on the electronic control board, you won't have an answer. Insist that he do it. Aside from the miserable customer service at the appliance store, you've got a repairman issue.

This shouldn't have been that hard to fix. Have someone with the right equipment check the control board. I still contend that you need a replacement unit. Go for the TL manual basic. It's a good product.

• Cavimum
    7 years ago

mamap - does your state have Lemon Laws? This machine sounds like a good candidate for them, if you do.

• homechef59
    7 years ago

For those of you following this thread. Speed Queen stepped up. They are providing Mamapinky with an entirely new machine. She gets it tomorrow. They said they had been working on a resolution with the distributor for the last few days. They did the right thing.

• paperweights
    7 years ago
    That is great news! Renewing my faith in Speed Queen!
  • Lisa Samson
    7 years ago

That's great to hear! Finally a company that does the right thing.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz