SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drewlangemeier

St. Augustine Grass Help!!

drewlangemeier
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I've come here for your help with my St. Augustine turf problem. I will try to provide as much info as possible, but will probably leave some things out. I live in Houston, TX.

For the past two years, the grass in my front yard has completely died off. It begins dying in a small area in the yard, not very symmetrical in shape and in a different corner of the yard each year. It goes from a healthy dark green to light green to yellow to straw in a matter of weeks. It then begins to spread horizontally across the front of the yard, nearly killing all of the grass. I installed irrigation last year thinking the grass was under watered as it is in complete sun, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Neighbors who do not have sprinkler systems and have full sun are not struggling with dead grass. I water 2 times per week for 45 minutes each zone, about 3-4 inches of water a week.

At the suggestion of a neighbor, I took a shovel and lifted living, dying, and dead grass to see if grubs were underneath. There were no signs of grubs. When tugging on yellowing grass, the grass does not come up easily. The grass on the other side of the driveway, separate from the front yard and also in full sun, looks like some of the best lawn in the neighborhood. The backyard, though somewhat shady, is thriving as well. I fertilize at times throughout the year depending on the season. I have never used pesticides.

I have looked for answers all over the net but am unable to determine the root cause. I will be sending off a soil sample shortly to have tested. I will attach a few pictures for reference.

Thanks to all who have any suggestions/recommendations. Let me know if I need to clarify anything.

Drew

Comments (5)