SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirstypotato

Planning on starting a bin, some questions

8 years ago

After hours of reading and watching videos I think I am ready to start a bin with red wigglers. I have 2, 18 gallon totes. I plan to use something like soda cans to provide the seperation of the 2 so I can collect the worm pee.

So some questions

1. I was thinking of layering the bottom with glass stones or some other drainage material to make sure my drainage holes never got clogged.

2. On the note of drainage, I was thinking of making a lot of small sized drainage holes so the worms won't escape/fall through them. Anyone have a recommendation on the size drill bit?

3. MIgardener on YT recommends adding some compost to the bedding initially to reduce shock. I only have access to cow compost (specifically Black Cow on hand). Would store bought compost be too composted to do any good? Should I just skip this step and just use peat moss?

4. Do you bury your feedings or just put on top? Since red wigglers are supposed to be top feeders it seems like you would not bury the food but it seems like most videos I watched people were burying it. So, to bury or not to bury?

5. Moisture content after start up. Is there a need to mist your bin when the humidity is low or just rely on food for moisture? If misting/watering is needed how can I judge? By the color of the compost or some other method?

I think that is all I have for now. If I can just find someone local (in southeast TN) that does vermiculture to get the worms from that would be great but if not I suppose I will be ordering from Uncle Jims. So far the only thing I will need to buy is the peat moss and im really dreading the $25ish spend on the worms.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Comments (17)