SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missti_gw

Starting my first Bin...questions

missti
16 years ago

Uh huh...thanks to all the reading I have done here the last few weeks (doing some major garden rebuilding next spring...) I have decided to start my first compost bin. So...basically - it's all YOUR fault ... LOL :-)

I went to the local Eco-Superior store today and bought an Earth Machine which is the most common one used in this area ...due to the lack of being able to get much else around here.

Anyway - I have read a lot the past few days, and I realize that the MORE you get it loaded to start with - the better. BUT...I don't have a yard full of things to start with so I need to know what is the MINIMUM I can do to get it going?

I do have some annuals I am going to dump (dying already from the heat) and I have a access to a lot of cardboard, shredded paper and tomato plants I am also ready to pull and dump. Can the "bad" tomatoes go in there too..and do I just leave them whole (or cut them up)?

I think there should be "twigs" at the bottom...which I am sure I can gather by walking down the back lane...that is a start right?

I have concerns about MICE coming to the bin...my neighbour has a garage and I saw a mouse coming out from his garage to my garden two weeks ago...I do NOT want to attract more mice to this area (got them in my house three years ago and nearly lost my mind) - so I will be keep the garden scraps to a minimum (will add little bits) and will be sure to bury them in (stir) when adding.

If someone could advise how much I NEED to get in there to start the process...I at least could try to gather that much over the next few days.

Thanks for any input...you are all so helpful here.

Comments (4)