SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loonlakelaborcamp

I'm curious. What do you do to protect you and yours?

loonlakelaborcamp
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I’m curious.

How many of you have ever had something stolen from your
home, car, or person?

How many of you have been bodily threatened or injured by
another person?

I have lived in many different parts of the country, and
whether it has been a large metropolitan area or a suburb or a country side
area, there are those that are up to no good.

I know the police can not be there at every moment to
protect us. What do you do?

No need to comment on what others choose to do – I’m just
curious what you do, and why.

No need to be too specific - don't need to expose any vulnerable areas.

Comments (66)

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

I miss my black lab but with our present lifestyle it'd be almost impossible to have a big dog. I miss him. Consider big dogs first line of defense

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I live in a somewhat rural area, being that most everyone has a bit of land, we're not in the city, we're off the beaten path, but their are people around. Just not too close. I have never lived in the and not sure how I would adapt to that. That said, we are certainly not isolated. When we were in our first house, which a similar set-up although we had a bigger piece of land and only one house in sight. We were broken into there and it was attempted a second time. They were unable to knock down a metal door coming in our garage. Hubby also reinforced all locks and door frames. Since the first break-in, we have always had an alarm system. It's always on at night, if I'm there alone and when we are gone. We never park outside the garage, the garage door is kept down, doors are locked, etc. We do have houses in sight, and two of those are retired people who are home a good deal. I like that :). We are in a safe area, but I don't kid myself for one minute that something can't happen, because it can and it does. Anywhere. But we also don't live fearing it. We do own guns but as someone stated earlier, for us, a gun would never be used unless we felt we were in danger of bodily harm. Firing a gun to scare someone off, I can understand, as long as you have somewhere safe to fire. We have a good watch dog - meaning she is very good about alerting us - but she is around 10 lbs. and probably not very scary to someone to hear her bark LOL.

• Related Discussions

When you say 'I'm going to bake a cake', what do you mean?

Q

Comments (62)
    I love beets. Especially ones fresh from the garden then roasted. Then there's Harvard Beets and pickled beets. I've been craving roasted brussels sprouts, but neither husband nor dd like them...dd used to, but now she's so anti-mom she's sworn off lots of stuff she used to like. Grits I learned to like when I was in Grad school in Billsburg, VA. I liked to go to the Chickahominy House to have a Virginian breakfast: eggs over easy, a slice of Virginia ham and grits, with a buttermilk biscuit. You could have redeye gravy, but I preferred to smush my eggs into the grits. Then there's egg/cheese/grits casserole. Cornbread is best slathered with butter, or drizzled with honey. I rarely do both anymore, but I used to. I brought rolls for the trip to MI to have Thanksgiving. I was up until 2:00 am on Thursday making them. I intended to make whole wheat "brown and serve" rolls, but I didn't hear the timer ding, and so in a panic, I baked them completely so I could taste test and make sure they were edible (they were, although some were big enough to be hamburger buns). For the young fry I made PIllsbury crescent rolls...as I know that dd and others prefer those. On the way home today she was munching on one and said "Oh, what is is that makes crescent rolls so yummy." "in a word," I said, "lots of fat." I have to say that driving up to Hastings, MI on Thursday morning was wonderful. A typical Michigan Thanksgiving day--misc. flurries and the sun breaking through glowering clouds over golden and russet fields which had been lightly frosted with a diamond dust. Breathtaking.
    ...See More

What do you do when you're ready to thin your collection?

Q

Comments (3)
    I do give away the common whites/yellows or the varieties that have been given to me, but I have other varieties (Gulf Stream, Hilo Beauty, Moragne #23, Vera Cruz Rose, Cancun Pink, Pu'u Kahea, Brea (not well known, from Jack Morgan), Kamiyama Rainbow, Plastic Pink, Nebel's Rainbow and on and on and on....) that I paid for as cuttings from mostly reputable and a few shady places. I run up quite the bill every spring with new plants and all the fertilizers that the plants need...DH hasn't said anything yet, but if our roles were reversed I would put the kibosh to the plumeria habit if I saw the bills coming in and stuff going out for free! Fortunately I sold a few bigger trees and that gave me the go ahead to bring in some more cuttings. :-) chuy,email me and let me know what you're looking for, I'm in North OC.
    ...See More

What do you do for winter protection of delicate plants?

Q

Comments (1)
    I cannot speak to the deer issue, but green 2" X 3" vinyl coated fencing keeps rabbits away and disappears to the eye. I buy the 4 foot high 50 foot roll and cut it to my needs. Makes a great compost bin as well. As for Japanese Maples, I find coming out of dormancy in winter too soon only to be hit by a freeze is the number one weather threat. I plant mine so they get winter shade and stay dormant longer. Rabbits, and deer I imagine, will also eat them. Forget anti desiccants as they tend to suffocate conifers in particular. tj
    ...See More

Do you protect after cutting off canes? What's your method?

Q

Comments (11)
    What are Rose Borers? There are actually several wasps and bees that nest in the center pith of cut rose bush canes. The cane boring insects bore a hole down into the center pith of the rose canes in order to create nests for their young. The two most common cane borers are actually small wasps. They are very active at seeking out the cut ends of rose canes to bore down into from early spring all the way through early fall. The most common cane borers are predators of aphids and use them to feed their young, thus they are a mix of good guy and bad guy in our rose beds. Rose borer damage can be easily spotted by the hole they leave in the center pith of the cut rose canes. Girdling may also be seen along the stem. The depth of the boring itself may only be a few inches deep, while the most damaging and life threatening to the rose bush can go all the way to the main crown of the plant.-
    ...See More
  • 4kids4us
    7 years ago

Bossy, I often wonder if my dog would do anything. He can be very fierce at random times, but other times just lay silently on the floor. I feel like if he doesn't sense danger, and the person breaking in was good with dogs, my lab would be laying flat on his back, paws up, looking for a belly rub! Hopefully, I'll never have to find out.

• User
    7 years ago

We live in a very safe HOA community of about 500 homes. People are always out walking or driving through. I've never felt not safe and have been home alone many nights. There's a woods behind the houses across the street and there's been a few signs of homeless camping and a footbridge vandalized, but theft is pretty rare in the neighborhood. Oregon is a low crime state compared to some others, but I lived in California for twenty years and never felt threatened there either. I guess it's because we've always picked good cities and neighborhoods to live in.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

My neighborhood has no through streets. That's one of the reasons we chose it. We have an alarm system and use it. Windows stay open year-round when we are home, but are closed and locked when we are away from the house. I have retired neighbors across the street and they keep a general eye out for non-resident vehicles. Another neighbor has an extensive outside video surveillance system which covers most of the street.

My childhood home was broken into several times. That's when I learned from the police that houses on corners with through streets have the greatest odds of being burgled, all other factors being equal.

When I lived in apartments, I had my mail stolen multiple times, experienced flashers twice, experienced an attempted home invasion that I slept through until the police awakened me by knocking on the door and was followed home from work twice. These experiences were all in different cities.

Mostly, I just try to stay aware, to use my locks and alarm system diligently, and make sure my good neighbors know if we will be away so that they can be extra vigilant.

• loonlakelaborcamp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Maddielee,

No, I did not call the Sheriff. I called the neighboring resort owner. The couple went back there to the
    campground. The owner said he figured
    out who it was by my description and I’m certain he asked them to leave because
    of trespassing. My neighbor is very good
    about looking after all his neighbors if we have any problems with any of his
    campers.

Lisad,

I actually feel more comfortable in the countryside. I have lived in the middle of Phoenix and
    Chicago, and I prefer the countryside. I
    do not live in fear, I just keep my antennae up—kinda like a big dog in your
    living room. He just sits there and
    relaxes until he hears something “odd”, then the ears go up.

Speaking of big dogs – yes, they would be one of the best
    deterrents. I just can’t have one in the
    apartment in town for the time being.

Bpathome, well said about being too public on social
    networks and even with the yard signs.
    I’ve babysat houses during funerals and weddings too because others
    decide to take what they want when they don’t think anyone is at home.

When I lived in AZ, people would pop into the front door
    while you were BBQing in the back! Yeah,
    lock those doors!

Basically, I try to make layers of deterrent to keep the
    opportunists out. I can’t image the
    trauma of having been raped or having the attempt made. That is probably the most personal terror I
    could think of.

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

We had a licence plate stolen off the car and someone took garden tools that I left outside at dusk. Mostly, people steal my garden flowers. Especially roses around the holidays. A neighbor used to pick all my figs that she could reach and even after I offered to share, she continued to sneak them. The best home in our neighborhood was broken into by men posing as window replacement workers while the owners were on vacation. Another couple we know out in the country had art and jewelry stolen by thieves who cut through the roof to avoid the security system while they were in Europe. The thieves posed as remodeling contractors and the neighbors didn't suspect anything.

I am thinking about the new security screens that can t be kicked in or pried open but don't look ugly at all. I like the breezes at night but don't feel safe leaving the window open. If I was home more, I'd have a dog.

• Fori
    7 years ago

Canine, plus I drive a Ford in a Tesla neighborhood. Why would someone bother?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

My house was broken in to 3 years ago. The police officer said, "Wow, this never happens in this part of town." But, there were three other similar break-ins within two weeks. I was away for the weekend, and I left the back screen door unlocked, and they broke through back door, actually splitting the door frame. He/she (they never caught the person) stole my late stepfather's piggy bank from my bedroom, and took my laptop (the power cord got caught on their way out of the house). I was scared for weeks afterwards. I grew up in a big city, never had any thing like this happen before.

I always lock the door, and now I make sure that both the storm and main doors are locked, as well as the door to the basement. I now have an alarm system, and security doors on the back and front. I try to minimize any indication that I am not at home, including turning off the mail and newspaper. If I travel for any long periods of time away from home, I get a ride, and leave the car in the driveway. I also tell one of the neighbors, who has been there for a long time. I have timers on several lamps around the house, and I usually leave a radio on upstairs. I am always on the alert for people coming on to the street (it is one block long), but across the street there are two 4-unit apartment houses, and another house with multiple families living in it, so it is hard to monitor.

• eld6161
    7 years ago

Bossy, you don't necessarily need a large dog, just one that will bark. Our rescue dog is very protective of us, but I really don't know what would happen if an intruder came in who was not afraid of dogs. I think though if it looked like the intruder was trying to hurt us, my dog would probably react.

Break-ins are common in affluent areas. Burglars know just how much time they have to trip an alarm, grab stuff and get out. I think if they hear a dog, it would be a deterrent.

• dedtired
    7 years ago

I've had my car rifled through and a toboggan stolen from the garage. One time we woke up to find our Corvette sitting on milk crates after someone stole the tires and wheels. I put the car in the garage at night and set the car alarm. I leave the outside lights on and I have a motion light. I lock the doors (deadbolts) and windows when I go out. I don't keep a weapon because I would likely shoot my foot off. I can't see the point of interior security cameras because the crooks are already inside your house. I guess it helps the police but doesn't keep anyone out. I know some of my neighbors have exterior cameras. The best security device I have is a very nosy neighbor who walks around and around sticking her nose in everyone's business. She doesn't miss a trick.

• joaniepoanie
    7 years ago

We keep doors and windows locked and of course the car locked in parking lots. We don't have a security system. When the kids were growing up however, the house was wide open all day as they were always running in and out. I've never felt frightened in our home or neighborhood, but I do try to avoid situations like leaving the mall alone at closing time, etc..

• cawaps
    7 years ago

I keep my doors locked and deadbolted whether I am in or out. My porch light (and my neighbor's in the duplex) are on all night (photocell controlled). I have a light in my living room on a timer so that there is a light on in the evening whether I am home or not. I don't keep cash in the house, and I stash my laptop out of sight when I go out (the front curtains are kept closed but the cats sometimes push them so you can see in). I don't keep valuables in my car.

A couple years ago, there was a rash of car break-ins in my neighborhood. Practically all my neighbors had their cars broken into by the time it was done. But the criminals got nothing from anyone I talked to, because we know not to keep valuables in our cars It still cost me $100 to replace the window they broke.

I live in a not-so-great neighborhood of Oakland, CA, which, while I think its dangers are frequently overstated in the popular press, is a big city with big city crime. It's pretty rare that I feel that there is a threat to my person, but property crimes are pretty commonplace. I've been burglarized 3 times in the last 30 years (once when I was home), and last year I interrupted thieves who had broke into my neighbor's apartment.

• maddielee
    7 years ago

When we had our canoe (a Kevlar racing canoe) stolen our 2 year old son was in the hospital. And we, like most parents, were at his bedside most of the time. The week that our son was sick at least 4 other families with kids on the pediatric ward had items stolen from their homes.

The police never could find proof that someone from the hospital was involved, but there is no question that there was. This was way before strong HIPPA laws.

• User
    7 years ago

I've never felt frightened in our home or neighborhood, but I do try to avoid situations like leaving the mall alone at closing time, etc..

Oh, if I heard one more fitness/health "expert" tell people to park far, far away from a store or mall entrance, I thought I'd scream!

Years ago, in h.s., I worked at a mall, and let me tell you, there were always crimes in the far (and sometimes near) reaches and dark corners.

I'll get my exercise some other way!

• User
    7 years ago

We live on a quiet cul-de-sac, just 10 houses, in a somewhat rural area. It's nice ... we all know each other and watch out for the street.

I keep doors locked, garage door down. I have my Pepa's antique .22 rifle in the office, but just for sentimental reasons. Who knows when it last shot a can or bottle. :D

I used to be alone a lot (husband traveled), and kept a thing of pepper spray. And I'd carry it in my purse when I took night classes. I never answer the door to someone I don't know (have sidelights to see out).

I've never been personally threatened, or home broken into; I've had a new truck stolen (apt complex) and storage unit broken into. They took the only copy of my wedding video, which really sucks. It was in a stereo cabinet (that's how long ago it was, we still played albums, ha).

I don't live my life in fear, but certainly try to stay aware of my surroundings.

• User
    7 years ago

We're homebodies and are usually home but when we're not, we lock up. We seldom park in the driveway and have always housed our cars in the garage. We have a larger dog with a loud bark to alert us when someone is even close to our property. We cover our windows and use deadbolts at night. We typically don't have many people in our house that we don't know. For deliveries, we try to both be present and we keep anything of interest like valuables or even medications out of site. These are all basically common sense and not unreasonable precautions to take. Anything more would make us feel as if we were living in fear and that's just not the way we want to live.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

I lock my doors at night, and I lock my doors and windows if I'm going to be away overnight. I keep my car locked. But I don't worry about that kind of stuff. waste of energy. My neighbors' house acts as a great hedge for mine, which is comforting.

I will never own an alarm system or a gun.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

Long ago my husband and I had a townhouse near a bad area. For a while the community had a real problem with cars stolen. It was mostly teens that used them for other burglaries and joy riding. I remember wanting badly a compound cross bow to spear them in a leg as I watched from a top window. No one would hear the sound. Instead, I moved.

In the last house, that neighborhood had gangs coming up from Miami to burglarize. We fenced ourselves in and had six foot double gates. Alarms were useless in that unincorporated area. I was thinking of getting a gun as I was there by myself so often but decided on a big Rotwieller instead. Right after I sold, the new owners were burglarized. There was another burglary around the same time at an elderly couples house. They were home and the owner shot a youth. He lived. The youth had a history but his mom is suing the owner (or was). I think she was tring to bring race into it.

Even though I was brought up with guns/rifles it's been a long while. I figure by the time I fiddled around nervously about to use it the bad guy would already have it out of my hand. I still like the powered bow idea...nobody hears the sound (much) and nobody knows where it came from.

Where I live now it's pretty safe, but I like to think my Rottie is still a good deterrent.

• User
    7 years ago

I take out my wand and tap the marauders' map with the words, "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." Then I can see where all the bad guys are :-)

Seriously? I believe carrying a gun for protection against the world diminishes the owner in ways he or she is obviously not aware. It almost reminds me of the homeless people who bare their teeth and growl at people to protect a grocery cart containing all their worldly goods.......keep away, this is mine and it's all I've got.

People who are looking for a fight usually find one.

We have an electronic gated entrance to our home and admission is by invitation only.

• lana_roma
    7 years ago

Remarkably, in my city petty thieves gravitate to wealthier neighborhoods. FedEx packages left on front porches, small cash left in cars, yard decor and such. My DH's relatives live in a such neighborhood. I know that people there avoid leaving garage doors open for long periods of time unless someone is present in the garage. Many have locking mailboxes. The relatives had their car broken in at night as it was parked in a carport in front of their garage.

It isn't as much of an issue in more modest (but not low income) neighborhoods.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

"How do you, and others like Olychick, find peace in rural areas?"

Peace comes from within.

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

It's cliche, but true-the best defense is a good offense.

If traveling out of town for any given period of time, put your valuables in the safe deposit box at the bank. And carry very good insurance with riders on anything exceeding the basic payout amounts.

I travel a lot for my job, and I am able to enter on to properties and I'm always amazed at just how complacent rural or semi-rural dwellers are. Consider that most people are not home during the day, and I'm able to pull up in front of a very expensive home, with many 'toys' and attractive items left out or within easy access. I look around to see if any neighbors are watching-and I'd say 99% of the time no one is. I enter into back yards and have not ever been approached or even had a cop or security ask me why I'm there.

If I were so inclined, I could easily load up my vehicle with valuables and no one would know.

A good friend of mine moved out to a rural area because she was worried about crime, and their home has been broken in to at least half a dozen times. Because thieves know they're not being watched!

So always keep things locked up tight. Get a LOUD dog, can even be a medium sized dog, as long as it will bark a lot when someone comes up the drive. Thieves are opportunists, so if there is any deterrant-such as a loud dog, a security light, even security system signs, they tend to skip it and move to the next easy target.

At our house, I keep everything locked up. When we're not going in and out of the garage, I keep the kitchen door locked, even during the day. If we're in the back yard, I'll leave the sliders unlocked, but when we're in-they're locked too. We also have 3 loud dogs who will bark at anyone walking past our home.

We know our neighbors very well, and because DH works from home, he has a good idea who is in the neighborhood. We know which cars belong and keep an eye out.

For personal security-it's just always be aware of your surroundings and never let yourself get isolated or feel that you must be polite when you're alone.

When I use the ladies room, I never hang anything off the door hooks-I knew a woman who had her purse stolen over the door while she was occupied.

I have had a home break in (DH didn't lock a door and the thief was someone who'd done work for us). I've had two cars stolen, can't count the number of car break ins-each time was due to opportunity-doors unlocked or valuables in the open. And once, long ago, was nearly raped. But that incident sure taught me to be FULLY aware of what is going on around me.

I'm not nearly as nervous in the city as I am when I'm in a quiet area!

• maggiepatty
    7 years ago

I have been robbed at gunpoint a few times in my life. I was also present when my parent was robbed at gunpoint when I was a kid. I was physically assaulted on the street once in my twenties, and followed home by creeps in cars more than once when I was in college and walked home from work at night. We always lived in "safe" suburban neighborhoods and none of these events took place in those neighborhoods.

I still live in a "safe" neighborhood--unlocked cars are often rifled through, but I have not heard of any break ins. To be honest, I don't even lock most of the doors of my house, and I only lock my car at night. We do have dogs to alert us to anyone arriving, and I can't imagine living without dogs for that reason (as well as many others! )

I am putting "safe" in quote marks because I work with many women and children who are the victims of physical and sexual assaults and I like to keep in the front of my mind that most people are hurt not by strangers coming in to the home uninvited but by family members or others invited into the home willingly by someone who lives there.

• LucyStar1
    7 years ago

I watch a lot of crime shows on TV. One of the most disturbing ones was the story of the girl who was abducted in broad daylight after shopping at Target on a Sunday. The police were able to crack the case by viewing video from the store and parking lot. A guy followed her throughout the store as she shopped and then left right before she checked out. She walked to her car and right when she opened her door, he ran up behind her and shoved her into her car. Once she opened her car door and started to get in, he ran up behind her and she was basically trapped with no where to go. She had no chance. It was so unbelievably fast that the police almost missed it on the tape. This has made me aware of where I park. Do not park too close to other cars (where you are jammed with no escape route) and do not park next to vans with sliding doors, large SUV's which will block a view of you, or vans or SUV's with dark windows.

• User
    7 years ago

By all means, base your behavior on disturbing fictional crime shows.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

I guess you are unaware of how many non-fictional CSI shows are aired on television. I assume she is referring to one of those, not stupid.

• User
    7 years ago

I wouldn't know Snook, we don't have a tv.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

My husband is addicted to Forensic Files on TV. I complain about it but find myself watching. Once you start watching it's hard to look away. Sometimes I'm glad I didn't have daughters. It's amazing how many crazy people are out there walking amongst us looking perfectly normal. Not always, but mostly, horrible things seem to happen more often to young girls/women of lesser means. That is the part that might make it seem unreal, unreal and less threatening to those of higher means.

• miniscule
    7 years ago

Generally speaking, I feel quite safe going out at night alone in my city and being in my home. I am sorry to hear about those who have suffered threats of physical violence.

We have a small but very loud dog (not for security but because we love her), and keep our doors locked and garage doors down most of the time. Our house is fully alarmed, and we use it every night and every time we go out. Our outside lights are programmed to turn on and off every night. When we go away, I leave an interior light on, close blinds, inform the neighbours, and stop the papers. These just seem, to me, to be common sense precautions although I am not aware of particular issues in my neighbourhood.

This thread reminds me though of some past experiences. When we moved into our last home, a large expensive one on a golf course, we were having a pool installed and other work done outside. We had the ground floor alarm on while out at night with our children, double locks on the doors etc. When we returned, all seemed well except that our then dog was panting. When we went upstairs, we found our master bedroom had been half-ransacked. The thief had entered through a window there, and evidently escaped the same way on hearing our return. We figured it was likely an "inside" job by a worker familiar with our place. Since then, I have every window and door on the alarm system.

Some vehicles are popular targets for thieves. I had the same locked family van stolen twice, right out of the parking lot where I used to work. The second time it was returned just before the insurance company was ready to okay its replacement.

One Saturday, a different van was broken into while I was downtown at the hairdresser. I saw the driver door ajar, and the glove compartment open, but I noticed nothing of value missing. A good coat and Hermes scarf were still right there on the passenger seat. Early Monday at work, I got a surprise call from a downtown corner hot dog vendor saying he had a case of mine! Someone had ordered a hot dog and Pepsi from him, but said he needed to go into the building to get money to pay for it. He gave the hot dog vendor my leather case as security and never returned.

• LucyStar1
    7 years ago

kswl2, it wasn't a fictional crime show. The victim was Kelsey Smith. No need for you to make a sarcastic comment.

A new true crime show premieres Tuesday night with an episode centered on the abduction and murder of Overland Park teenager Kelsey Smith.

“See No Evil,” which focuses on surveillance video footage that helps solve crimes, premiers at 9 p.m. on the Investigation Discovery channel.

Kelsey Smith went shopping on June 2, 2007, at a Target store in Overland Park. She never made it home. She was found dead four days later in Jackson County.

Her killer, Edwin Hall, who admitted to kidnapping, raping and strangling her, is serving a sentence of life in prison without parole.

Surveillance video from the store showed Smith walking to her car with packages, opening her passenger-side door to put her packages in and walking around to the driver’s side.

A blurry figure emerges and pushes her inside.

Murder of Kelsey Smith

• lana_roma
    7 years ago

Scary. Did Kelsey Smith try to honk when the stranger pushed her in the her car? Break a window and scream? In a public place the first thing is to make as much noise and mayhem as possible.

• llitm
    7 years ago

"Oh, goodie. Another gun thread."

Really? Guns have barely been mentioned and the OP didn't ask about guns so where did that come from? Very odd.

• LucyStar1
    7 years ago

lana_roma, it happened so fast that I don't think she had a chance to do anything. When they showed the police reviewing the video of the parking lot, the police didn't even see it at first. The guy was so fast that it looked like a flash of light on the video (he was wearing a white T-shirt). He ran up right behind her and she was trapped between the car door and the seat with no place to go. I don't think it took much for him to push her in. It was very disturbing.

• homepro01
    7 years ago

I have an alarm system. I look my doors and windows. I am slowing adding a camera system for the exterior of my home. I keep some windows open at night because they are European tilt and turn which cannot be entered when opened in the tilt position. We had a long term power outage, about 7days, and several folks had their generators stolen. Mine was bolted and locked down. Plants are stolen regularly in my neighborhood. I actually think these are gardening contractors who steal them and install them in other properties. Mine friend had a beautiful mature hen and chicks stolen from her front yard. Yes, you read that correctly, hen and chick. We still laugh about it because it seems so stupid to steal something so trivial.

My alarm is always on even when I am home. It has several modes that make it compatible with being in the home and also opening and closing certain doors. My property is lit at night by photocell exterior lighting. I am moving many plants away from the sides of the home so that someone could not hide behind them. Also, I am concerned about water damage from plants being so close to the foundation of the house. I never feel unsafe.

Good luck!

• maddielee
    7 years ago

maggiepatty wrote: "I have been robbed at gunpoint a few times in my life. I was also present when my parent was robbed at gunpoint when I was a kid. "

Can you expand on this? This had to be very frightening, I am sorry to hear that you had this happen. Was anyone caught and sent to jail?

• User
    7 years ago

Lucystar:

In 2014 in the United States the rate of persons experiencing violent crime was 20.1 per 1000 (US Department of Justice). That category includes all of the following: rape or sexual assault, robbery, aggravated assault, and simple assault. In 2013, according to the FBI, there were 4.5 murders per 100,000 people, and that trend has dropped sharply since 2004. Television dramatizes such events and renders them far more important and more likely than they actually are. Owning firearms to protect oneself against these unlikely events is akin to keeping a bazooka handy to kill a stray elephant in Florida. If you feel unsafe after watching a tv show about crime, I would suggest that not watching such shows is a more rational response than purchasing and carrying a gun.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

Thank you kswl! That is exactly what I keep thinking as I read this discussion. By definition what is shown on news/nonfictional television crime reporting is 'news' because it IS unusual. If people were routinely being raped/shot/murdered/abducted it wouldn't be news, would it?!

I suspect that many of the people who don't travel the world much, live in small homogenous communities and spend a lot of time watching television have a very skewed perspective on life or at least a very ignorant one! That's my surmise about those in these conversations who are fretting and worried about transgender people attacking children in Target bathrooms and they themselves being attacked in the parking lot when they leave as well as people who firmly believe that with a gun in their purse they are invincible ;).

• 3katz4me
    7 years ago

We've never been broken into or felt threatened anywhere near our homes. We have security systems we've never used. I do always have lights on timers so the house never looks like a dark sitting duck. We lock the doors when we're gone and at night. In the summer we leave windows open day and night. I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting someone and can't tell who it is. No great lengths just basic common practices.

I did once have my wallet picked out of my purse in Malta so I never go anywhere with my purse open any more. DH has traveled many places in the world and has never felt personally threatened except in Coconut Grove in FL. The only time I was a little concerned was when some thuggish looking kids were following me down a deadend hall at the Times Square Marriott in NY. Fortunately I got to my room and started talking to DH who was inside before I even opened the door. Thugs made a hasty exit down the stairwell.

loonlakelaborcamp thanked 3katz4me
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

" If you feel unsafe after watching a tv show about crime, I would suggest that not watching such shows is a more rational response than purchasing and carrying a gun."

I don't see where Lucystart stated she even has or plans to purchase and carry a gun. You girls are too much. How many fights do you need to start? I would think you'd be getting your fill with the other thread.

I really hope you aren't around to escalate the violence with your antics (either by inciting the criminal or a citizen carrying) during any crimes that might happen to occur when you're around.

• Vertise
    7 years ago

"We've never been broken into or felt threatened anywhere near our homes. ... I did once have my wallet picked out of my purse in Malta so I never go anywhere with my purse open any more. DH has traveled many places in the world and has never felt personally threatened except in Coconut Grove in FL. T"

I do think it's easy for those people who have never been threatened or assaulted to feel safe and un-threatened since they have never been in that vulnerable or violent position. Victims of crime, even witnesses to violent crime, likely don't feel the same sense of safety and invincible security that you do and would be more inclined to think about how they could defend or protect themselves in the future. Can't say as I fault them for those feelings.

• MagdalenaLee
    7 years ago

I've been the victim of three crimes - all preventable.

1.) Being assaulted by a man while walking with a friend down a dark street to an unlit parking lot after Fiesta in San Antonio around 2am. I was 19 and clueless. We were more mentally harmed than physically.

2.) My brand new '98 Thunderbird was broken into while parked on the street in front of my house. It was locked but I should have parked in the driveway and not under the shadow of a large tree to the side of the house.

3.) My sister and I were at a salon in a mall and I was getting my hair cut while she was waiting. A guy with a backpack sat next to her and secretly fished her wallet out of her purse. I had just paid her a few hundred dollars because she was going to stay with me for the summer, babysitting my son. Of course her purse was on the floor, totally laid open with her wallet in plain site.

The things I do to keep myself safe:

-keep all doors locked all the time

- security system

- keep lights on in the house (even at night) and have motion sensor flood lights on the exterior

- big dog who is encouraged to bark

- TV stays on when not at home

- reporting suspicious activity

- being aware of my surroundings and not putting myself in precarious situations

loonlakelaborcamp thanked MagdalenaLee
  • User
    7 years ago

Snook, where did I suggest that Lucystar owned / owns a gun?

Your comments are rather bizarre and you seem to be projecting strong feelings onto the posters here. Take a breath, don't be so angry.

• just_terrilynn
    7 years ago

I'm not sure what traveling the world has to do with "what do you do to protect you and yours". I think most of us here travel quite a lot. If anything, people of higher means might be the ignorant ones and not the other way around as stated above. When it comes to the facts on those that suffer violent victimization it is more than double for those persons in poor households at or below poverty. We can choose to not read about it or watch it on TV or plain ole pretend those people don't count and stay in our own little worlds. I choose to stay informed with all sides of an issue.

I think that's why although I choose not to have a gun to protect myself there are other people out there in different situations. They might not all be poor either. If I was stalked i would surly think differently.

http://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=5137

loonlakelaborcamp thanked just_terrilynn
  • DYH
    7 years ago

security system (one keypad in master bedroom, other by front door). I set the alarm at night and in the daytime if Brie isn't here. If she's here, I sometimes set it and sometimes don't.

security cameras front and back (monitors are tucked away in the pantry)

window breaking alarm in sunroom and basement

my back deck has gates at all steps, and the backyard has gates.

motion-detector floodlight on back deck

Brie, though only a 15 pound mini poodle, barks like a Rottweiler. The subcontractors were truly afraid of her during my renovation!

I park my Toyota Tundra crew cab, long bed truck in the front space. (When my late DH and I lived in a rural area, we parked the truck outside the garage when we traveled. From the road, it looked like someone was home.)

I park my car in the back, so no one can drive by and easily see if that car is home or not. They'd have to stop and look around to know if it's here. Most of the break-ins near me are daytime when people are gone.

For personal safety, I take pepper spray when I walk Brie outside our neighborhood.

I always lock my door, even when I've let Brie out in the fenced backyard.

loonlakelaborcamp thanked DYH
  • loonlakelaborcamp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's a great idea, about snowtracks.

• LucyStar1
    7 years ago

kswl2, I have no idea why you are linking me to owning a gun. And it is disingenuous on your part to tell snookums that you didn't when you said to me: "If you feel unsafe after watching a tv show about crime, I would suggest that not watching such shows is a more rational response than purchasing and carrying a gun."

I do not own a gun. I never mentioned gun ownership. All I talked about was an awareness of surroundings when parking the car. You are the one mentioning gun ownership. Your responses and denial are bizarre.

• User
    7 years ago

OK, I'll share a funny story to lighten things up here. When I was in my early 20s, I was riding a subway in Europe and I was in the car by myself. A man got on board. I didn't pay attention to him initially, but at one point glanced over at him. His genitals were hanging out of his pants (like, the top button of his pants was buttoned, but the zipper was down and things had fallen out). I giggled at the sight, assuming he had no idea. When he saw me giggling, he got a disgusted look on his face and exited at the next stop.

Later, when telling my friends about the man who didn't realize his privates were hanging out, they all looked at one another, then at me, and said, "Um, he was flashing you."

I don't believe "flashers" tend to be violent, and I didn't realize at the time I was a victim. But I never rode in a subway car by myself after that.

• loonlakelaborcamp
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lisa - funny story. When I worked for a Urologist, he taught all the female staff a one-liner to quote whenever some obnoxious patient would try to shock one of us by "flashing" us. You just gave them your most serious look and said, "Wow, I think the doctor has something to help that." ! I only had to use that line twice in 10 years! That usually deflated their ego!