SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mainegrammy

Is a house with dirt-floor cellar saleable?

mainegrammy
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We own a c. 1800 farmhouse with a huge barn in the middle of 100+ acres of woods and fields in Maine. Everything we see from the house, we own.

It was a handyman's dream house when we bought it in 1972. Now it's a lovely 11-room home with a walk-in pantry, 3-season porch, huge sunny living room, bedroom with ensuite bath (4 bdrms & 2-1/2 baths total), attached 2-car garage and workshop with automatic doors... The 2-1/2 story barn's in good shape (new roof about 5 years ago), shingles intact & 2 sides painted. Big fenced organic garden; multiple perennial flowerbeds. Visitors exclaim "Paradise!" or 'Shangri-la!"

Close to one of Maine's cities, I estimate it would go for about $300,000, just the house. But we're in the sticks, surrounded by old trailers and gravel pits. And there's that dirt floor in the cellar. Oh, and half that floor gets wet whenever there's a hard rain (we dug a trench so the flooding goes into a sandy hole and soaks in within a day).

A local realtor, after admitting there's no house within 20 or 30 miles quite like ours for comparison, suggested an asking price of $250,000. That seems high to me, considering. And I'm wondering if anyone would even look at the place at any price, once they know about the cellar (a photo would naturally appear in online listings, as I see no point in springing it on people).

It would surely cost many thousands of dollars to do the French drains cement floor thing--money we don't have. It's pricey just to keep it painted and replace a section of a roof or some siding now and then, or re-putty some more windows, since we can no longer do such work ourselves.

I've been hoping to move while we're still healthy, but I'm wondering if we should just stay in place, progressively unable to care for the place as we get poorer and more elderly, and... (not sure what happens after that). Would anyone buy such a house?

Comments (11)