SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missouribound

I need to brainstorm and find a way to move the cat with us

missouribound
7 years ago

I asked this on the pet forum, thinking there would be more people who had done this, and you'd think I'm out to torture the cat. I've put in more hours looking for a rental suitable for the cat than anything else related to this move.

Most of you know the story of the cat, but the short story is that he was a feral cat dumped in our neighborhood years ago. He was wild, mean, and always looked like he had been in a fight with Freddy Krueger. I finally caught him after a couple of years and took him to the vet for shots and to be neutered. I thought if he was going to stay in the neighborhood, he needed that at least. But after that, he decided to stay at our house. And over the years, he has become very tame, mainly because he discovered, or remembered, that he likes being petted.

But he is terrified of cages and being in closed spaces. He will come into the garage, and we shut him in there at night to protect him from the bobcats and coyotes, but he wants out desperately in the morning. He will come in during the day but it has to be on his terms and when he wants out, he gets so agitated that he will attack us if we come in and don't let him out.

He isn't a house cat, and never will be. And that's the problem. How do I move him to a house or apartment without being able to let him outside? Most of the rentals I have found are apartments, but I keep thinking I will find a house with a garage so he will at least have that much freedom. But the odds of it having a window (he likes an afternoon nap on a window seat) are slim. And then there is the problem of keeping it cool in the summer. Right now, we have a garage with several windows, so he has a couple to look out and one for the a/c.

Any ideas?

Comments (18)