SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sstempest

Ideas for open-air upstairs atrium

Sandy Beach
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

We have a 1970s townhouse in Southern California (zone 10) with a really awesome but unusual feature: a small open-air atrium in the center of the second floor. We have minimal gardening knowledge or skills, but we would like to do something cool with it. Something easy-care.

I'm looking for ideas for plants, containers, accessories, and layout! I'm envisioning an eclectic, Western US feel, like things I have seen in Sunset magazine. Or Mediterranean inspiration. I'd like to keep it relatively uncluttered.

We want to keep the existing aloe and snake plant, but start taking better care of them (They have done pretty well considering they have gotten no water aside from rain!)

I like the idea of something else somewhat tall in there, so you could look through the branches. Any ideas for some kind of drought-resistant small tree or tall shrub that would fit in the space? I was also thinking of things that would smell nice, like desert sage or perhaps lavender.

It gets quite a bit of light and wind. Sometimes some grit from the roof shingles blows in there. Also, sometimes crows drop things in there. The funniest one was a jelly doughnut!

Measurements of the atrium are 65 in x 85.5 in (including the doorjamb). There is a drain behind the snake plant that drains to outside. I like the current color and texture of the floor.

Ideas welcome!

Photos:

Atrium before · More Info

Comments (17)