SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitchel_gw

Increasing air flow in vents, cold air in basement -) PowerZoning

mitchel
16 years ago

Hi,

We saw these PowerZoning guys at a home show in Denver, CO and they were talking about increasing the efficiency of home A/C & Heaters.

They came to the house for an estimate, here is what they offer/did:

He turned on the fan in the furnace via the thermostat, he then selected the room farthest from the furnace and placed a small "contraption" that measured air flow out of the vent, the reading was 370. We went downstairs and he removed the bottom door of the furnace (the one you remove to replace the filter) and wedged it in so that the safety switch was still activated so that fan would still work. We went back upstairs and the little contraption sitting on the vent was now reading 520-530.

He said the jump in the number was due to the fact that the fan in the furnace now had more air coming into it and was less restricted. He went on to explain that by adding an additional cold air return in our unfinished basement (10 feet away from the furnace, he said it had to be away from the water heater due to safety and fumes) the furnace fan would not only be more efficient and blow more air but that in the summer we could just run the fan and not the AC until the upstairs temperature reached the temperature of the basement, if we still wanted it colder we would have to run the AC. He kept saying that we have a lot of cold air in the unfinished part of the basement (800sq.ft.) and we should use it to cool the house in the summer and not just waste it.

OKÂhere what it all includes:

- install 10 feet of ducting

- cut a whole in the furnace to attach the new duct

- lifetime washable filter for the new return

Cost: $800

SoÂdoes all of this make sense and should it help cool the house? I am not a HVAC guy, so to me it makes sense and the numbers according to that contraption he placed on the vent sure indicate more air was coming out of the registersÂwhich sounds like a good thing.

Not sure about the cost, what do you think? Sure seems like the material would not add up to that much and it is mostly labor and buying "there idea".

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Mitch

Comments (9)