SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shovedragons

Old, large cold air return vents are consuming our AC too fast. HELP!

shovedragons
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Can I place filters over my cold air return vents on the floor? I rent a house that was built in 1923. It is only 900 square feet, and has a basement where the AC system is located. Our main floor is all one level. We have three cold air return vents on the floor. Two are in the living room/dining room which is one big open room. One is in the hallway under the thermostat. All of the return vents on the floor are huge, measuring 1.5 feet by 2.5 feet. The grills on them have large, numerous holes, measuring 1 inch by 2 inches. Our air conditioning will run for an hour just to reduce the house temperature by 2 degrees. (For the record, our regular vents that *blow* the air are also on the floor. Everything is on the floor........)

If I have to reduce the house temperature from 80 degrees down to, say, 75 degrees, the AC will run nonstop for up to 4 hours. I've noticed that the suction on these cold air return vents is very strong. It sucks debris down into the vents very easily. I am wondering if these vents are just so large that they are sucking the AC back down before it can just barely reach the thermostat positioned high up on the hallway's wall. I placed some filters over each of these vents. There are air holes in them, but it is slowing down the suction. It took 11 minutes for the house temp to lower 2 degrees. The house retained its target temperature for 10 minutes, then kicked the AC back on. It ran for another 11 minutes, then turned off. Is this ok? Prior to attempting these filters, the system kept running and running. It did this so badly that it ran out of freon and the coil froze. Someone had to come service it and replace the freon. I've noticed the system isn't running itself into the ground when I place filters over these large return vents. Let me know if this poses a problem. I realize covering return air vents is not advisable, but this is more of a filter, to slow down the system from over-consuming our air before it even has a chance to reach the thermostat.

p.s. Our filter is brand new. Our thermostat is brand new with new batteries. Freon has been put back in the system as of one week ago. The ducts might be leaky, I don't know. This house is old as crap and I am willing to bet the ductwork is too. We don't own, however. We rent, so we can't do much about the ducts if they have holes. Unless anyone has suggestions...

Comments (3)